Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

A long time ago i had heard of someone donating parts of their

Customer Question

A long time ago i had heard of someone donating parts of their lungs while living. I would like to get into something like that but need information on how and where.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello JA customer, I am happy to help you today.

Lung transplants aren't very common because of the small number of donor organs available.

Each patient must go through a careful screening process to make sure he or she is a good candidate for a lung transplant. Donor lungs also are carefully screened to make sure they're healthy enough to be used for a transplant.

The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) manages the nationwide organ-sharing process. OPTN also maintains the waiting lists for all organ donations.Here is a website about this network where you can contact.

Lung transplant is done from a deceased donor.

If you have any further question, please get back to me.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So there is no where in the world that will take a piece of your lung to aid another person?
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 4 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,

There are some places that are using living donor lung transplants, and these are for patients who are too ill and can wait for lengthy times on the conventional donor list. The transplant can take the entire right or left lung or only a lobe. The selection process for this is pretty discriminating, the donor has to have adequate lung function to survive on just one lung along with recuperating from major surgery.

More information about this is here: http://www.cts.usc.edu/livingrelatedlungtransplantation.html

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
Hello I am DR. BORA again.

If you are looking for living donors, you can still contact the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN), but I guess you would have to wait for an indefinite time.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have looked at both of the websites but what i really need now is a number or a website with an email address to contact so that i can get the process started.
Hello JACustomer,

What state do you live in? Just saw the additional detail; is it Iowa?
That would help me try to find a transplant center near you. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Susan
Hello JACustomer,

I had trouble finding a transplant site in Iowa that specifically stated they did living donor lung transplants; the ones I found focused on the kidney so I am loathe to give you useless information.

However the University of Southern California's Keck Medical College and affiliated hospitals does do live transplants of lungs. The general information regarding the procedure is in the link I gave, here is more specific information about the Lung Transplant Team: http://www.cts.usc.edu/lungtransplantprogram.html

Here is the page for their contact information: http://www.cts.usc.edu/contactinformation.html

My best of wishes to you and I commend your gracious wish to help whoever it is you intend.

Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)