Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

my 8 month old baby does not sit on her own or even roll over

Customer Question

my 8 month old baby does not sit on her own or even roll over yet. she will not put things in her mouth like toys or finger food. when i try to feed her she turns away. She smiles says mama, dada and many sounds and is very alert.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Was it a normal delivery?
Was there a delayed cry of baby after birth?
Did your pediatrician discuss about the delayed mile stones?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was a c section. Durring pregnancy at about 7 or 8 months the ob said i had to much fluid in the amniotic sac but that corrected itself. apgar was 8-9. my pediatrician says she is fine, but this is my 3rd child and I think something is wrong.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer thank you
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay i getting an answer to your question:

There is a large range in the age at which any particular developmental milestone is met. Unfortunately, over the internet it is NOT possible to determine if your child may have a delay in development.

Your best option would be to have your child have a formal developmental assessment. Your local children's hospital could direct you to a developmental assessment program in your area.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What I received is not really an answer. Obviously i will see a specialist if she was not making some progress.

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
As a pediatrician with special training in developmental issues, I must agree with your concerns regarding your baby's physical development.
From your description it appears that your baby is showing specific delay in gross motor milestones, while the other developmental skills appear more or less age appropriate.
While I cannot be certain, I would be concerned about the possibility of hypotonia (decreased muscle tone) causing these symptoms.
Given that there is a complete inability to sit at 8 months, in a full term delivery, this would be the right time to get evaluated by a developmental pediatrician and get a proper screening and tests for the same.
There is a huge list of potential causes for the same, and I would like to get the baby physically examined and then discuss the differential diagnosis as per the findings,
Hope this helps, please get back for any clarifications,

Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.