Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice
15267045

I have a lump on the back left side of my head behind my ear

Customer Question

I have a lump on the back left side of my head behind my ear that I think is a gland. It is apparently swollen and hurts to the touch. What would cause this and what gland would it be? Its been this way for 3-4 days now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 2 years ago.
Greetings,

This is likely to be an enlarged, inflamed lymph node. Lymph node can get enlarged from an infection in the adjoining area. Another probable is a cyst. Common one is sebaceous cyst which can get inflamed. You will need an examination by your doctor. You can apply warm moist compress. If the pain is much, analgesics with antiinflammatory actions like motrin or naproxen can be taken if there is no contraindication.You need to take it after meal to avoid gastric irritation.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't hurt bad enough to need medication. Could I wait it out a few more days to see what happens? I do not have health insurance and haven't been to a doctor since high school, 9 years ago. Other than emt not giving me a choice one time. But all that was for was to staple a head wound and see for concussion.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 2 years ago.
You can observe. If it does not subside you can take a consultation in a free clinic. I understand your problem with insurance. If one does not have insurance, one can visit one of the centers run by the Health Resources and Services Administration. They provide affordable quality health care to people without insurance. You can find a health center near you by clicking the link below
http://www.hrsa.gov/
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just found out that it isn't my lymph node. There are 2-3 bumps around the top back of my left ear on my head. Behind my ear. What could they be from.? They feel like glands that might be swollen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 2 years ago.
The swollen lumps could be lymph nodes(you have said it is not that),could be sebaceous cysts,could be Mastoiditis( Inflammation found in the mastoid air cell system which are seen in the mastoid bone) with a tender painful swelling of the bone.Other more serious causes of lymphadenopathy would include causes of generalised lymph node swelling all over the body like lymphomas,Hodgkin's disease and other malignancies including squamous cell cancer of the neck.Local swelling of the glands behind the ear may occur due to infections of the scalp and neck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I press on them they seem to be pretty solid. They also seem to go around toward the back of my head starting almost directly above my ear. Does that help narrow it down at all?
The three options have already been mentioned.It is unlikely to be sebaceous cysts if it seems solid,though it may be a bony cyst,,so that leaves Lymphadenopathy or lymph node swelling and Mastoiditis.A examination by your doctor/PCP will confirm the diagnosis.The commonest cause of lymph node swelling would be infection or inflammation ..
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice