Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have been experiencing stomach and random chest pain left

I have been experiencing stomach and random chest pain left shoulder mostly. Had ct scan, blood , urine test all checked out. Have been taking acifex twice a day 20 mg as well as over last ten years for reflux one a day. This is drivIng me crazy. Just today started taking gas x and seems to help sOmewhat. The stress is the biggest problem. 48 year old male. No fily history of anything other than reflux.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

What severe is your stomach pain in 1 to 10 scale? Is your chest pain burning in nature? How long are you having these symptoms? Do you have any other health issues such as diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol? Any other associated symptoms such as sweating, nausea, breathing difficulties? Are you experiencing acid reflux, belching? Do you feel pain when you press in your upper abdomen or chest?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Stomach has been getting better from start almost 4 weeks ago, Chest is like cramps moving around and comes and goes. Started about 4 weeks ago stomach like girgling aqnd strange sounds. no issues, last check cholesterol was 178.no other symptoms. Past year been diagnosed with low vitamion d ( was at 18) which I they think was causing fatigue and possible leg cramps. Legs come a go. Stopped taking vitamin d a few months ago because of being outside. Can't really feel extra pain by pressing anywhere. Most is anxiety from the symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.
Based on your description, I feel that you are having these symptoms for a while, and you have been investigated adequately, which came back normal. Occasional chest and leg discomfort may not be significant as it is not associated with any other symptoms. Moreover, you were investigated for it that came back normal. However, gastrointestinal problem such as GERD/acid reflux can certainly cause burning pain/discomfort in chest. Since you have the history of acid reflux, and your current stomach pain is responding to Gas x, it is an indirect reflection of gastrointestinal pain. You also seem to have stomach noise without any other associated symptoms. Stomach sound is typically due to normal digestion and can occur when you are hungry, or even after eating meal. I am not sure if you noticed any aggravating factors for this noise,,,,you may like to write down the foods that lead to excessive sounds, and try to avoid them. Taking high carbohydrate can also cause stomach sounds. Generally, these are harmless condition, but sometimes it may indicate gastrointestinal problems such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Even IBS is a functional disorder and can be managed appropriately.
Since you are experiencing acid reflux symptoms for a long time, if you have not undergone endoscopy, then you may like to have one now. This will disclose any gastrointestinal problem that pay account for your pain. I also suggest getting H. pylori test to see if that is a cause for your stomach pain. If tested positive, you will have to take prescription meds to eradicate H. pylori. Last thing that may account for your symptoms would be anxiety problem, as anxiety can present with wide variety of somatic symptom. At this time, I suggest you to visit your regular doctor for endoscopy and H. pylori test. You will be guided further based on the findings. In the meantime, try to reduce your stress level and watch for aggravating foods. If you can make it, then it is better to get a follow-up evaluation by a gastrointestinal doctor.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attached are the test results from last week. This pain keep moving around center,lef, right shoulder, mostly left shoulder. I just tried GAS X for first time today. I really hate taking anything but maybe this will help out. Should I take one or two? Is there anything else they should of checked for on the tests? I really appreciate you help. I am scheduled to see a Gastro DR in three weeks they are all booked until then

. When I took the CT scan they had me drink die and then a die IV. see results. Would they also check heart? THANK YOU very much.

RESULTS FROM CT:

History- Abdominal pain and bloating. Constipation.
""

CT scan of abdomen and pelvis- Examination first performed without IV

contrast. After that, entire examination was repeated with oral and IV

contrast. Following findings are noted.
\1. No free air, free fluid,
loculated fluid, inflammation or abscess.
2. No calculi. No other acute
process.
3. No tumor, lymphadenopathy or mass.
4. Liver, gallbladder,
spleen, pancreas, and adrenals, kidneys and
aorta are normal. No abnormality
of bowel identified. Appendix normal.
5. Rest of the abdomen and pelvis
normal. No hernia.
6. Lower lung fields are clear. No pleural fluid.
7.
Incidental finding, severe narrowing of disc space and marked
degenerative arthritis at L4-L5. The disc at this level is degenerated.
""

Impression-
1. Normal CT scan of abdomen and pelvis.
2. Incidental
finding, severe narrowing of disc space and marked
degenerative arthritis at
L4-L5.

Transcriptionist- VAR M.D.
Read By- VIKRAM A RAVAL M.D.

Released By- VIKRAM A RAVAL M.D.
Released Date Time- 05/23/12
1443

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the test report.
They are all within normal range. Even your CT scan is normal other than the incidental findings of disc narrowing and arthritis. I don't think that arthritis will present like this so it must be a gastrointestinal problem. Feeling better after taking gas x is also supporting gastro problem. It is good to know that you are going to see a gastro doctor soon. You can take gas x four times a day, but make sure not to exceed 500 mg in 24 hours. As far as additional test is concerned, you can request for endoscopy and H. pylori as these are directly related to gastrointestinal issues. Your CT scan was for abdomen and pelvis, so it does not include heart. Looking at the pattern of symptoms, it does not look like a heart problem as it is not suggesting any pattern. It could be just a musculoskeletal pain as it keeps on moving around,,, or stress related. You must work on to reduce your stress. I think your next step is to see your gastro doctor. If everything come back normal, then your symptoms could be attributed to anxiety. In that case stress management strategy would be beneficial in long term management of your symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Thank you. Can you delete the pictures and I will accept. I wouldn't want my info floating around the web.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome!
You can go ahead with accept.
For your convenience, I will send our conversation to justanswer customer service, they will be able to delete/lock/close this thread. I am doing this because we do not have option to close or lock any question.
Thanks for visiting justanswer.
Take care
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.