Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

i have been having sharp pains in my chest. i just had one

i have been having sharp pains in my chest. i just had one a few minutes ago that sarted in the center of my chest a radiated to the right nothing else hurt but my chest. it only lasted about a minute. i 've been having these quite frequently , i suffer from anxiety and depression, i have an appointment with my regular physician on wedensday but i have to know what these are and are they harmful now? an to add to the problem my jaws feel sore and i have heartburn.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
How long are you having these symptoms? Have you been evaluated for it? Do you have any other health issues such as diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol? Any other associated symptoms such as sweating, nausea, breathing difficulties? Are you experiencing acid reflux, belching, an upper abdomen pain? Do you feel pain when you press in your upper abdomen or chest? Is it a burning pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no only anxiety and depression,no swaeting, nausea or breathing diffuculties, i guess it would be acid reflux no pain just a burning sensation when i belch.jaws hurts feel sore and i have a cough
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

Based on your description, you have burning sensation in your chest, which is there for a while, and it is not associated any other symptoms that makes it less likely related to heart. Additionally, you don't have any major risk factor for heart problems, and your age is also not supportive for heart attack. Considering all these things, this is most likely acid reflux/GERD, you can take OTC antacid or prilosec and see if you feel better. However, if you feel that your symptom is getting worse or not improving or you develop chest pain, you must consider ER visit for proper evaluation and EKG. Please let me know if you have any other question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i've had lots of ekg's all normal i go to the er they contribute it to anxiety
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
It is good to know that all EKG were normal in past. This is another indication that your symptom is not related to heart. Since you are experiencing burning sensation and belching, you must try OTC antacid or prilosec. Anxiety can also produce several somatic symptoms, so it is important to manage your anxiety problem appropriately with medication and psychotherapy. This will help you in long term management of somatic symptoms.