DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

My daughter is 3 years old. She is having a problem in pooing. She

My daughter is 3 years old.

She is having a problem in pooing.

She pushes but is unable to poo. At times she cries and screens when she wants to poo and is unable to pass it out. She goes all crazy with the pain.

Laxatives like Ezilax and pico have not been able to help much.

We have tried fluids, juices, prunes, vegetables, etc etc etc.. Blah blah blah (like 7 doctors have said till now)..

Changed milk etc etc etc

The only thing that works is fleet. After taking fleet (which she hates) she poos out large and I mean real large balls of poo.

Why is it happening and how to fix this problem.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Has she had a rectal exam for this problem?
Have any of these doctors checked that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
That is mandatory
You have to make sure there is not some mechanical problem and the pediatrician should have done this.
How long has she had this problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How and which doctor does such a an exam (rectal) and how is it done. Please confirm. Also if there is some problem in the rectum how come fleet is extracting all the stool out and in such big balls. The size of a tennis ball or bigger. Awaiting reply. This problem since 6 months.Is it dangerous/curable is there is a mechanical problem?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Pediatrician or family practice doctor
Finger inserted into the rectum to feel if there is a problem.
The pressure of the fleet might overcome a partial obstruction

This sounds however like chronic constipation..and the question is why.

So you can save time and have this child seen by a pediatric gastroenterologist to make sure there is not a problem with the rectum, with bowel motility.etc.

Use reply if you need to clarify

Please don't forget to complete the answer process so I am credited for work and expertise. Even after we are done come back if you need to. Positive/excellent feedback the best! Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. My last question related to this problem is that is the doc after a rectum examination does not find anything then what to do?And say if the doc during rectal exams finds something is it dangerous/curable?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
then the GI doctor might do a motility study to see if the bowel works OK
It is unlikely at this point that anything is going to be dangerous.