Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

When I drink or eat anything the roof of my mouth [soft and

When I drink or eat anything the roof of my mouth [soft and hard palate] swells up. It does not hurt and there is no lump. Swelling goes down about 5 minutes later and then remains only slightly swollen. My throat feels mildly irritated on the left side only. Temperature is normal and color of my palate is normal. Saw an oral surgeon 3 days ago for my hamular process bone on the left that felt a little larger then the right but the oral surgeon said everything looked normal to him. I mention the swelling to him and he thought at the time it looked ok. you can't see it but I can defiantly feel it with my tongue.if I suck on a piece of ice swelling goes down rather quickly.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and i am an ENT and Head & Neck surgeon. Before i answer, i would like to know that what are your specific worries about that swelling? Since how long exactly you have this problem? Do you have any diagnosed medical problem? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I take protonix for heart burn. I'm Taking muscel relaxer for a pinched nerve in my neck.
It semed like i had a little swelling around my hamular process bone and saw a oral surgen 6 months ago. he took a ct scan and thought it was normal. He thought I might
of iritated while eating. 3 days ago I went back for the folow up and saw a differant oral
surgen everything was ok. The increased sweling started about 5 day ago
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I take protonix for heartburn. I'm Taking muscle relaxer for a pinched nerve in my neck. It seemed like I had a little swelling around my hamular process bone and saw an oral surgeon 6 months ago. He took a ct scan and thought it was normal. He thought I might of irritated while eating. 3 days ago I went back for the follow up and saw a different oral surgen an he said everything looked ok. The increased swelling started about 5 day ago. Just not sure what’s going on

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also saw an ENT who looked into my nose with a scop. Had sinus surgery on the left side about 5 years ago. He said it looked ok and that i had some normal swelling in
my maxilry sinus where they did the operation
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your input. Well i agree with your doctor that there is nothing serious at all. The symptoms you have mentioned are very very rare. The only possibility that i can think of these symptoms is the inflammation and blockade of minor salivary glands which are spread in the hard and soft palate both. Due to inflammation their ducts gets blocked and while you eat like a normal process there is secretions of saliva from these glands. Due to obstruction they can give a feeling of swelling and once secretions are drained slowly the swelling goes down also. Its not related to any food allergy because in allergies the swelling remains there. You should drink lots of water and to stimulate the glands you should suck lozengenes and lemon. In this way the blockade can get relieved. If possible see an ENT doctor again but i can assure you that there is nothing to worry because there is nothing serious or dangerous. I wish you good luck that you get well soon. If you have any question, please feel free, i am always here to assist you. Please spare sometime to send a positive feedback. Regards.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery