Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

When my blood pressure gets high, I feel that my left ear gets red and hot. Why is this? And is it dangerous?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
'What do you mean by high?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Like higher than usual. The highest reading I had today was 170/100, but I took all of my medication this morning, and the reading I just had was 146/95
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
170/100 is on the way to a dangerous range.
So that is dangerous, not the ear.

Like many people, you have an individual symptoms whne your blood pressure goes up, ikn this case capillary expanasion and an increaese in blood floow at that level.

This is not a good think as it indicates pressure that is too high elsewhere.

It won't hurt your ear, but the 170/100 is an indicator of stroke risk and heart attack risk..so you are in a sense lucky..the ear getting hot is a warning.

Use reply if you need to clarify

Please don't forget to complete the answer process so I am credited for work and expertise. Even after we are done come back if you need to. Positive/excellent feedback the best! Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So am I going to have a heart attack or stroke? Should I go to ER? I didn't think it was that serious..
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
You are at risk

180/110 is an urgency and you should go to the ER at that point even without symptoms.

Since you have symptoms..it would be reasonable to go now and get your doses adjusted.

Use reply if you need to clarify

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just took it again, and it was 143/95. Is there still concern? Could my machine just have had a bad reading? I also suffer from anxiety, so maybe the anxiety caused the increase if not a tech error by the machine?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
That is not a particularly dangerous BP
And one isolated reading is not so pertinent in this range
It is the average
And the other guidelines I told you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it typical for someone my age, 20, to have a heart attack or stroke? I just feel that all the ER would do is take an EKG, electrocardiogram, and tell me that everything is normal. I have had these tests done before and everything was normal.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
It is not that likely but if your BP stays up all the time then yes it can happen...normally not for a number of years..but you can not count on that....BP should be controlled anytime it is consistently over 140/90
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Went to ER as you suggested. BP was 160/91. They did not give me anything to lower it because they said with it not being extremely harm the quick lowering could actually make more harm. They suggest I talk to my cardiologist about a different med or dosage. And also suggested I talk about getting a ultrasound of the kidney done.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Dr is probably just offline
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Dr. Thomas is offline. Woud you like more help here?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure. I was guessing he was offline from no response. I went to the ER today, (as I explained in the previous response) and it was 160/91 they let me go home, said to follow up with my cardiologist on Monday. I took the BP before laying down for bed and it was 150/80 so going back down. Am I able to workout with my baseball team still eventhough the BP is slightly elevated? I play college baseball.
Hello, I am DR. BORA.

Your BP is still high especially for your age. Ideal BP for you is 120/80.

Yes, you can play basket ball and make sure that you are tking your meds in time.

You should urgently get the ultrasound study of the kidney and the blood vessels known as renal doppler study to exclude renal hypertension. This is sometimes the cause for high blood pressure in young adults like you.

You should also check the urine metanephrine levels if the renal doppler study is normal.This test is used to exclude pheochromocytoma, kind of tumor of the adrenal glands which can cause sudden rise of blood pressure.

If you have any further question, please get back to me.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is any of this fatal? I do take my medication regularly.
No, it is not fatal but there are specific treatment for both renl hypertension and pheochromocytoma.

Please consult with your cardiologist and get the tests done.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How bad is a BP reading of 163/92?
Sorry to have kept you waiting for an answer.

The normal BP for your age is 120/80. So, having a BP of 163/92 is simply high and you can be labelled as a "young hypertensive man".

Please take this seriously and consult with your doctor about the tests that I had referred to in the previous post.

Such high BP can leave you at risk for early onset stroke, atherosclerosis and narrowing of the arteries that can put extra pressure on your heart.

So, if you would like to lead a healthy life without putting at risk for diseases that can have long term sequalae, you should take steps from now on.

I hope you understand my point. Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am on blood pressure medication already. My latest reading was 145/95. Is this terrible?
No, this is not terrible but it is not normal either.

Please consult with the cardiologist if you need any change in your medicines as your blood pressure is still higher than normal.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, and off of the BP subject, I have been having a faint feeling and it worries me. I have never actually fainted, but I've had this feeling for quite some time. I get very aware of my surroundings and it really feels like I am going to faint, but I haven't. Worries me. I do have anxiety.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.Probably offline at timeOkay, and off of the BP subject, I have been having a faint feeling and it worries me. I have never actually fainted, but I've had this feeling for quite some time. I get very aware of my surroundings and it really feels like I am going to faint, but I haven't. Worries me. I do have anxiety.