A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Did I use too much Clobetasol Propianate Topical Solution 0.05%?

Did I use too much Clobetasol Propianate Topical Solution 0.05%? I have terrrrible dandruff and the doctor prescribed it for some spots on my scalp. I applied about 24 drops on my scalp tonight out of desperation and then panicked that I used too much and shampooed it out. It was on for about 10/15 minutes. Is it possible that this will cause terrible side effects? I have a panic disorder and when I started panicking about it my heart began racing, my arms started feeling numb and my breathing begin slightly difficult. I don't know if this is the result of a panic attack or the medication!! Please help!
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. No, it isn't something that will cause any side effects. It didn't remain on your skin long enough to do either any harm or any good. The symptoms are the result of a panic attack.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to verify--the intense chest pressure/tightness is not an allergic reaction? I said 25 drops but I'm feeling this 50ml bottle and if feels about half empty. D'oh!

If this is my panic disorder, can I take my Xanax while I have the steroids in my system? I haven't had a panic attack in about 8 months--thus the extra panic about the panic.

No, it isn't an allergic reaction. The medication wasn't on your scalp long enough to be in your system. It's fine to take a Xanax for your panic attack. You're okay, except for the panic.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
To completely satisfy me I'd like to know how long this solution would have to be on my scalp to cause side effects, and what those side effects would be.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Hello
Thanks for your question.
I am a Board Certified MD glad to answer your question.
Clobetasol is a potent steroid and can get absorbed from your scalp after application within 5 to 10 minutes.
This is due to the rich blood supply in the scalp.
Hence, the panic attacks you experienced can be related to clobetasol.
But, this is not common usually with topical application.
Other side effects can be high blood sugar, high blood pressure, bone loss, weight gain, mood swings, anxiety, sleeplessness.
But these side effects are not commonly experienced with short term use of clobetasol.
Please discuss with your doctor for alternatives.
Nizoral A-D shampoo is one such safe alternative.
Best wishes,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for taking the time to review this question. One last thing that may help the awful panic symptoms I'm feeling: if these feelings are a result of applying too much of the solution, is this something that will go away over the next 24 hours or do I need to seek follow-up attention? Are these long-lasting side effects?

I ask because I just moved to Johannesburg South Africa for a 3 month job and am unsure about how to get medical attention here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ask because the trouble breathing is especially distressing. I have taken 4mg Valium to no avail. Thank you.

Why didn't you take the Xanax?

Here is the information on clobetasol from the National Institutes of Health:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a686008.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I actually don't have the Xanax with me I realized (just moved to South Africa)--I took 4mg of Valium but it is 2 months expired

It will still probably work, but will most likely take a bit longer. You should feel better in a couple of hours. If not, you should seek attention for yoyr panic attack.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you--if it's just a panic attack, I will ride it out. It was the line "Clobetasol can be absorbed into your body if used in large amounts and can cause harmful effects" that flew me into a panic after I started feeling weird.

Yeah, I know how it goes when someone is prone to anxiety attacks. Clobetasol typically does not cause problems with short term use, and you can't get much shorter than what you had. It is commonly used twice a day and can be used for weeks.

You really should be finding a medical provider in South Africa to treat your anxiety. That can be your general practitioner or a psychiatrist (your choice), but since you have panic attacks, you should have something on hand to take for them.