Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

About one month ago I was having a bout of lower abdominal

About one month ago I was having a bout of lower abdominal pain that was bad enough I went o the ER. They took a urine sample and it was fine. Took CBC and hemoglobin, all fine. The dr performed a vaginal and rectal exam and it was fine. Had an ultrasound and it showed a cyst on my left ovary (which I've had before and is quite normal). The dr said there was a 'trace' amount of blood in my stool, very small. I was told that it was probably a combination of gas and the cyst that caused the pain I experienced. The only thing I am concerned about is the trace blood. I was constipated for a few weeks leading up to that morning I was pushing very hard.
Anyway, I called my PCP and she said that she was not concerned at all about either. And that because I had a colonoscopy a year and a half ago the tiny amount of trace blood was most likely from the constipation/straining.
I have been fine since. Just curious about your take on it.

In your age group (and with a colonoscopy being normal one and half year ago); the tiny amount of blood is not likely to be due to anything worrisome. Straining or small hemorrhoid would be the most likely cause of it. This would resolve spontaneously. You may get a stool test again in 3 weeks to confirm it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since my dr. doesn't plan on giving me a follow up stool sample, should I just let it go?

Yes, you may let it go. Follow up stool exam is not absolutely necessary.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I always request you? i feel very confident with your responses each time we speak...
You are very welcome.

Yes, you can request me. Please start the question with, "For Dr. Arun only."

Thanks for your kind words.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last question regarding the 'small complex' cyst on the ovary. Can I just go to my yearly over the summer and tell my gyno? There is no pain associated with it,
Yes, you can discuss this during your yearly exam with the gynecologist. Small complex cyst are not worrisome, as you know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Arun!
You are most welcome.

Good luck.