DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

Do the astrocytes enforce the blood-brain barrier only through

Do the astrocytes enforce the blood-brain barrier only through direct physical support? Are there any other ways in which the astrocytes contribute to the function of the blood-brain barrier?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

No the astrocytes also supply biochemical support to the endothelial cells, which are most important in the mechanical barrier forming the blood brain barrier, through their "tight junctions."

Astrocytic "feet" which are projections from the astrocyte, surround the endothelial cells to provide this biochemical/nutritional/metabolic support.

Please don't forget to complete the answer process so I am credited for work and expertise. Even after we are done come back if you need to. Positive/excellent feedback the best! Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas