Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Mysticdoc is offline so can someone else take this? I still

Mysticdoc is offline so can someone else take this?

I still have this loss of sensitivity in my right head scalp area in the front before the crown, but not below the "hat line".

I also have tingling in my right nose bridge sort of near the eye and down along the jaw line and the right forehead.

I fell asleep at my desk last night (over worked and not sleeping well) and woke up with my face in the keyboard. That's when this began. But for about a year I've been having tingling on the right side of my face.

In 99 I was in a car accident, went off a cliff and the car landed upright. Since then I have unimaginable back and neck pain, and cerival disc disease. I'm in pain a lot and take medication because i have to. I'm very stressed right now and for the past year for the same reason millions of people are in the past few years.

But I never lost the sensation (numbness) on my scalp and forehead before.

It's now say 28 hours since the face in the keyboard thing.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Hello Phil,

Are you having any pain associated with the numbness?
Any visual changes?
Are you having any weakness of the muscles of your face? (for example, is your smile crooked? Can you whistle normally? Talk normally?)
Any rashes on your scalp/face?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. Abby:

None of those things apply to me
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you.

The nerve that supplies sensation to the face/scalp area is called the trigeminal nerve.
Here is a picture that shows the nerve and the areas it supplies:

http://www.intelligentdental.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/trigeminal-nerve1.jpg

Typically, when there is a problem with this nerve, however, it is associated with sharp bursts of severe pain and not numbness/tingling....so it is a bit of a question as to what is going on.

I know that stroke has been mentioned...this is something that should be considered and ruled out; however it is an unusual presentation for stroke. More typically there will be facial weakness with drooping of one side of the face.

It is possible that you have simply compressed the nerves when you fell asleep on the keyboard. If this is the case, it may take a few days for you to return to normal.

Shingles, which is a reactivation of the chicken pox, can occasionally cause numbness/tingling along a nerve before the onset of the rash. Usually the rash will appear within 1-2 days.

But, I do feel that you should be evaluated by either your regular doctor or, if possible, a neurologist today....
If you develop any facial weakness, headache, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing or progression of the numbness (spreading of the numbness) you need to go to the emergency room.
Otherwise, I encourage you to make an appointment this morning with your doctor for an exam.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States