Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Customer Question

My 6 month old son has a bubbly personality. He is 6 months old and weighs 25 pounds 29 inches. He is healthy. I have concerns about his facial movement though. His left eye and left lip seem to be not moving properly. When he smiles, his left side of his lip does not rise at all and his left eye does not squint up like the the right eye. It is very obvious. He also can not fully close the left side of his mouth around his bottle while eating, and formula drains out of the left side of his mouth. Should I be worried? Is this something I should see a neurologist for? He has been this was since birth. He also has a flat spot directly on the back of his head the size of my palm, since birth. The pediatrician had a c spinal X-ray done that showed his spine is perfect. Should I still have concerns since he is not progressing?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long. The spinal x-ray would not show anything. He needs a neurologist examination and may be an MRI of the brain. Since this is not progressing; this may not be serious issue, but still warrants an examination by a specialist.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A few more questions I'm sorry. I have been researching because his ped says he is no need of specialist and he has "tortacollis" and this is why his face is doing what it is. As a mother is it in you advice to just continue with physical therapy, or since the lip and eye are "lazy" continue to ask for a specialist? Could his lip not moving when smiling be a sign of other things? Or a flat spot on his head? He also "chokes" quite frequently while sleeping I eating. Is there something that other than tortocollis that could be to blame for this?
Hello Paige,

Even a torticollis would require an examination by a specialist pediatric neurologist. You may meanwhile continue the physical therapy. I do not anticipate any significant issue by lip not moving and smile issue. An MRI of the brain may show some mild neurological issue which can be related to the cranial nerves (which supply the face and neck muscles). The scalp depression is not likely to be anything worrying and would resolve (seems to be fontanelle).

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun