Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained

Looking for someone experienced in allergist ect. Have highlighted

Looking for someone experienced in allergist ect. Have highlighted my hair for 16 years or so. Mostly done by myself. When done myself I usually have redness or tiny rash on arms and itching sometimes stinging, Would last 20 minites to hour or two, i do get the stuff on me sometimes though, I stopped a year ago because I got afraid of possible reaction. I dye it now but now have someone else apply to and wash it. I don't have the problem with the due so far. I have talked to.a dermatologist on here and gotten their opinion so just want to get an opinion with someone experienced in allergies to coincide the opinions.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 2 years ago.
Did you wear gloves when you dyed your hair yourself? Do you have any itching or burning on your scalp?
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 2 years ago.
Do you use dyes containing PPD?
Expert:  emergencyadvicenurse replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Are you wanting to know if the reaction you have to the due is an allergic one?
-Have you changed products recently?
-Do you experience itching or redness anywhere else when you used the dye/ highlighting chemical?
-Any breathing or swelling in your throat when this occurred?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there I wore gloves but they just came to wrist the itching was on my forearms and maybe some around the top of my forehead, Amd ear I got some on my ear. I also thought I rinsed it all off and in the sink but took a shower just in case and felt like lemon juice was running down my leg I think it was red streaks and itchy but went away in 1-2 hours all of it that is, exept my scalp was red and tender sore, day or two I think some got through the cap not sure as that was I think the first time it had done this. No dyes containing PPD exept the 3-4 times I went to the salon, the salon didn't bother me about 4-5 years ago. Yes I'm wanting to know if it's normal for someone to have redness, itchiness, blotchyness, for an noir or two after bleaching hair. Been using same product for 16 years just about the same always bit stopped a year ago was afraid I would have bad allergy so started using ppd free hair color darker, and letting someone else apply and wash ect. No other place than my arms and that one time my legs, and maybe the very top of my forehead, ear, i can't remember it being anywhere else. No problems so far with breathing or throat. Just itchiness, redness, blotchyness a few hours and it's gone like it had never been there but last time my scalp was red a few days, I do use a cap.
Thanks for the additional information.
Well, it is possible to develop a hypersensitivity to a product that you have been previously using. As we get older, our bodies change, and so do our immune systems. People find that they develop hypersensitivities to certain products and also out grow allergies.
The fact that this is red, itchy and blotchy suggests that the skin was irritated by the product. The fact that this didn't bother you before suggests that this is a new hypersensitivity. Now you have developed some symptoms on your wrists and forearms which means that you could have the potential to have worsening symptoms the more times that you use this product. So you cannot use this particular dye or bleach again.
Fortunately, there are many different dyes and bleaching products, so you can still color your hair, just not with this product.

I hope this helps!

Warm regards
Press the green accept button if this was helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well it's been breaking me out since I was XXXXX, XXXXX't all bleach and highlights have the same ingredients? I use ammonia free. How will I know if I'm allergic? I'm just scared now to do anything just started getting scared after having these problems all these years got to be a chicken.
You can do a skin test by an allergist.
But no, not all bleach and highlights have the same ingredients.
They can be quite different.
You can also try dying your hair again and seeing if you have the same reaction. If you do, then you know for sure you are allergic.

Warm regards.

Please click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if this was helpful so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You mean like with the highlight? If I do it and have someone else apply and wash and. It get it on me and have no reaction what would that mean? I do it myself and for years my forearms and like top of forehead get Red and blotchy or rash a few minutes this has been going on for years. I just don't want to have a severe reaction ect,.
Yes with the highlight. If you have someone else apply it and you have no reaction, then it means that you are either not allergic to it or they used a different highlighting material/technique. As you know, you need to wear gloves when you do this kind of work to your hair.
You have three choices:
1. do not treat your hair
2. do a skin test with an allergist
3. try it again- but be aware that you may have a reaction and have some benadryl on hand and be prepared..

Warm regards.

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained