Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

well, my history is probably important to this, but starting

well, my history is probably important to this, but starting monday night I started to feel nauseas and had a headache and felt weak. The headache started small, but after a couple hours grew into a big one. This came with the nausea and the shaky/weak feeling. Later in the night, i got stomach pains, like on and off, burning/sore sensation that would come and go. sometimes around the belly button, and often around the right side. I also went to the bathroom more then normal, but no diarhea. By morning, the nausea was mostly gone, but the headache was still there. Eventually, that faded and i was left kinda weak all day, and ate late, but still had the pains in my lower abdoman. They would come and go, and move around a bit, but generally on my lower right side, sometimes very low, like almost groin area. I could push around with my hand, and there wasnt any major pain, and i could move around, walk, jump and stuff, maybe a 3 at the strongest on a 1-10 scale. Mostly I slept a lot and was tired. Yesterday and today, more feeling weaker then normal, but a bit better each day, but I still deal with the stomach pains, like today, I feel like it comes generally about 3 hours after eating, a soreness and a burning, around where my colan seems to be, lower right side. I never had a fever any of the days. I have a bit of a history of this pain going back 2 years, with it coming on for a few weeks, then fading and not having it for a few weeks, then it comes back. This week was a bad episode of the pains though. Thanks for any feedback.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this, have you had any tests?

Customer:

hello

Customer:

im here now

Customer:

thanks

Dr Brims :

Customer:

i havent had any tests recently, but in the past, when i had similar pains, the doctor examined me and ran a blood test in the past, but nothing conclusive. I have not gone to the doctor this time

Customer:

i was worried about apendicitus, both before and now]

Customer:

but in the past they always ruled it out

Customer:

but recomended further testing

Customer:

to see what might be going on

Customer:

this time, i got nervious all over again

Customer:

its been 3 days sense it started monday night, and it comes and goes

Customer:

but this has been a bad week for my stomach issues

Dr Brims :

Okay, do you have anxiety disorder?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes im here

Customer:

yes, well, i dont take medicine for it, but yes, i do tend towards anxiety, and doctors have diagnosed me as having one befoe

Customer:

but, that being said, i do feel physical symptoms in my stomach, and I dont thnk this is truly in my head

Dr Brims :

Any diarrhea or constipation?

Customer:

no diarrhea, but this week has been irregular, with going more then normal, larger, monday night, and then slightly constipated the following days, but i went today and yesterday

Dr Brims :

Any blood in your stool or change in color?

Customer:

no, they seemed ok and normal

Customer:

how would i see blood?

Customer:

would it look like blood?

Customer:

they seemed normal color and consistancy

Customer:

but i went a lot monday night

Dr Brims :

Yes, it would look like blood or look dark black

Customer:

i dont think i have that

Customer:

it all seemed ok

Dr Brims :

Okay, does anything make the pain better or worse?

Customer:

i feel like the pain comes on around 3 hours after eating, but not always, and sometimes its worse in the morning, right when im waking up, but its a bit hard to nail down. I feel like foods can make it worse, red meat, or rich/fatty food, if i indulge too much, or if i have heavy fiber, like a large dose of spinach or dark green leafy salad. Stress also seemed to be a factor, but i dnt think its only stress related. And i will go weeks with it on and off, varying strengths and then it might subside for a period, but then come back.

Customer:

does it sound like appendix? its riht in that location?

Dr Brims :

This doesn't sound like an appendix at all

Customer:

but its in that spot

Customer:

and a burning/sore pain kinda localized

Customer:

i guess that is what gets me paranoid

Customer:

right where the colon is

Customer:

are there other things it could be?

Dr Brims :

It should be constant in the right lower corner with fevers or chills

Customer:

that does kinda describe it, although no fever, and not constant

Customer:

heh

Customer:

but that location

Dr Brims :

It could be a viral infection that is improving

Customer:

i did feel a bit of the chills monday night, but never ran a temp, but still, i know appendix is severe and i would know it if i had it, it would not be subtle, at least that is what i was told

Customer:

and it would progress reletively quickly, not linger for days

Customer:

coming and going

Customer:

or even weeks

Dr Brims :

That is correct

Customer:

but i guess the location always freaks me out

Customer:

cause its right there

Customer:

in that colon spot

Dr Brims :

Okay, is there anything else you would like to ask on this topic?

Customer:

no, thanks for your patience, i guess, just to finish up, you would agree that it does not sound appendix related, and you think whatever i had monday night is not super serious? Lastly, are there other conditions that could cause the symptoms im describing?

Customer:

i know there is probably a lot of conditions

Customer:

but just curiosu\

Customer:

the first thing that comes into your mind

Dr Brims :

I don't think it is extremely serious, and I think it is likely from a viral infection or irritable bowel syndrome

Customer:

ah ok, and lastly, truly this time, when you say, lower right quadrant, would that be even as low as the groin area? or stopping at the stomach? how low is low i guess it what im curios about, and thanks again, its true, it might be IBL< but i dont know what those sensations are

Customer:

but ive thought that maybe, and docs have mentioned it, but couldnt diagnose without further testing

Customer:

conclusively\

Dr Brims :

It should no be present in the groin area if it is your appendix

Customer:

maybe im the one guy who has non acute apendicitus, some kind of reoccuring chronic condition

Customer:

thanks again doctor, i wish i could show you a diagram of where i usually feel the pain

Dr Brims :

It is possible, but that would require further testing

Customer:

but i dont know how

Customer:

what kind of testing?

Customer:

would be required/

Dr Brims :

A CT scan of your abdomen

Customer:

and does that exist? ( great another thing to worry about :)

Dr Brims :

There are many chronic colon conditions, but this does not sound like any of them

Customer:

will you be online if about 15 min, i want to try and link you to a picture i will take and show you where the pain is usually

Customer:

just to show you

Customer:

is that ok?

Dr Brims :

I will be, but what would you hope to gain by showing me a picture of the area?

Customer:

it would be helpful to me

Dr Brims :

Ok, but it won't help come to any conclusions

Customer:

i would feel better knowing you saw where i was experiencing the pain usually and it might help you understand my situation, mostly it would give me peace of mind

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it wont be conclusive of anything, but it would make me feel a little better

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

ill write here when the pic is ready

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

hell0

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i posted it here

Customer:

http://i.imgur.com/ZJQFe.jpg

Customer:

the red is the most sever and common location for the pain, the green, medium severity and location it occurs, and blue is the least common and severity

Dr Brims :

Okay, I've looked at it

Customer:

hello

Customer:

cool, did it work?

Customer:

come through?

Dr Brims :

Yes, I was able to see the image

Customer:

ok, thanks for looking, any further thoughts?

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Dr Brims :

No other thoughts than those expressed above

Customer:

hmm, ok

Customer:

does the location reveal anything further, or indicate common appendix pain location?

Customer:

do you see what i mean by more groin area

Customer:

for the red

Dr Brims :

The location does not reveal anything further, that is the location of common appendix pain, but as I said previously, this does not sound like an appendicitis

Customer:

ok, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate it

Customer:

i wont press further

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer:

I appreciate your help, will it be offensive if I ask others on the site also?

Customer:

i dont want to obsess

Dr Brims :

If you have other questions at another time you may request me by starting your question with Dr Brims .

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic.

If not, you may click the ACCEPT button to end this session

Dr Brims :

No, it is not offensive at all

Customer:

thankk you, you were very helpful

Customer:

and patient

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience