Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

Ive had some GI symptoms for the past several weeks or longer

Customer Question

I've had some GI symptoms for the past several weeks or longer where there is occasional diarrhea or loose stools; lots of gas; and some indigestion after heavy meals. It just seems like I have more difficulty holding food, but the worst case is when I take my regular protein drink (2 scoops of whey or casein) during the day or especially on an empty stomach. I have been taking protein for many years and it is only recently that I notice such a problem after taking it. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Have you been evaluated by a Gastroenterologist?

Dr. Owen :

What medical problems do you have?

Dr. Owen :

Do you use any fiber?

Customer:

No, I have not been evaluated yet. I do not have any medical conditions. Pretty healthy adult. Exercise regularly. Take a lot of supplements such as vitamins, fish oil and the like.

Customer:

I use fiber inconsistently.

Dr. Owen :

You are 48, correct?

Dr. Owen :

any bloody diarhhea or bowels

Dr. Owen :

What you should try to do is increase your fiber - such as with benafiber, citrucel, or Konsyl...and try to use about 20grams per day.

Dr. Owen :

And, you should then also get this evaluated with a stool / bowel sample culture to see if you have an infection.

Dr. Owen :

Also, eating a good and well BALANCED diet will help

Customer:

yes, i am 48. No blood in the stools or vomiting, etc. Can probiotics increase diarrhea?

Dr. Owen :

Also, you need to also consider getting a Colonoscopy too - usually the first recommended colonoscopy is at age 50, but you are near that age and I would recommend trying to get it done.

Dr. Owen :

Probiotics is usually good - but should be keep to a minimum - such as just ONE RepHresh PRO B per day

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

Please click on ACCEPt

Customer:

Do these symptoms cause concern for colon cancer?

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please on ACCEPT

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

Is this pretty common or nonspecific symptoms? I am naturally worried about serious conditions such as colon cancer.

Dr. Owen :

Well usually cancer presents with bleeding

Dr. Owen :

But, this is also why I am recommending getting a colonoscopy to LOOK into your colon with a camera

Dr. Owen :

More than likely this is diet related and Not having enough fiber.

Dr. Owen :

I Hope this helps

Dr. Owen :
Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Do you have any more questions?

Customer:

I understand. What type of bleeding does cancer present with usually? I also have hemorrhoids that occasionally cause irritation on the outside of the rectal lining or perianal area, leading to itching scratching and rare bleeding on the rectal skin area. I've had that, well forever. Are these problems unrelated?

Dr. Owen :

Well if you have bleeding from hemorrhoids then unlikely to be cancer - so the ONLY way to know is with a Colonoscopy.

Dr. Owen :

itching could be due to hemorrhoids too.

Dr. Owen :

So, not very likely to be cancer - but you do need to be seen and evaluated by a gastroenterologist - you NEED a more balanced diet and hence this will help you MORE likely in the long run.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :
Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

Got it. I have made the appointment with primary care physician. One last question: In your opinion though, when the problem is diet related, does it manifest itself as chronic and is it normal for it to last several weeks or more?

Dr. Owen :

Well diet can EVENTUALLY manifest in the symptoms you are having.

Dr. Owen :

But, make sure your primary care physician refers you to a Gastroenterologist - because honestly I would recommend getting the Colonoscopy even if a couple of years prior to age 50.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :
Dr. Owen :

and if you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Do you have any more questions

Customer:

and the symptoms persist if not treated well and still diet-related?

Dr. Owen :

more than likely diet related - but the only way to tell for sure - is with testing - such as colonoscopy

Dr. Owen :

you can NOT assume anything - you need testing, and hence THAT way if you do need treatment - you can get the Proper treatment -and NOT guess at anything.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :