Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

lacunar infarcts

lacunar infarcts

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

A lacunar infarct is a lack of blood supply to the deep structures within the brain. The occlusion occurs in very small arteries

Customer:

I have had two small strokes -early February & 6 May - these are the results noted from a CT scan on 9 May- having carotid erect??? omy -just need to know what I have got?--please???

Dr Brims :

You mean you you are having a carotid endarterectomy?

Customer:

yes --had right carotid artery cleared in May2010 -seeing surgeon on wednesday to organise left artery erect/omy

Dr Brims :

Okay, and what question about this would you like me to answer?

Customer:

Just needed to understand what my disease/problem is & how serious - likelihood of a terminal stroke??

Dr Brims :

The problem is due to plaque build up and subsequent occlusion in your arteries in your neck and brain, this occurs with age and other factors contribute to it as well. You risk is high if you have already had 2 small strokes this year, but if you have the endarteractomies then the chances are decreased

Customer:

Yes I understand --not terribly happy with the possibilities but will have to stay optimistic:. Thank you for your help