Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My left eye has been going completly black then it slowly clears

My left eye has been going completly black then it slowly clears and I can see through it again. Both eyes were doing it but only when I had been sitting or bending over and then get up. Now my left eye does it when I just shift in my seat or move around. I have been having some pretty bad neck pain recently and these headaches that start at the base of my skull and end up feeling like my brain is being squeezed.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Potentially this could be part of a migraine aura but I'm concerned that it could be a transient ischemic attack--a threatened stroke. A brain tumor is also an unlikely but possible cause so if you haven't had an MRI of the brain you need that. You need to see your doctor again as soon as possible to follow up on this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was just wondering is it possible to have a stroke at such a young age? I was told that my previouse neck pain was from stress and tight muscles could that cause the headaches or cause the eye problem. And are there any other symptoms I might have. I hate going to the doctor and don't want to go if its nothing.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand but a problem with just one eye alone isn't likely to come from neck pain or perhaps from a near fainting situation. I have seen a stroke in a 16 year old. As I said, this could be part of the aura of a migraine headache--the symptoms that occur before the headache begins, and in a variant migraine condition, the aura may occur without the headache following. Still, this is a serious symptom that you should at least tell your doctor about--it isn't "nothing."
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice