Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

What exactly is acidosis? What are the symptoms, the causes,

Customer Question

What exactly is acidosis? What are the symptoms, the causes, the treatments, and long term effects?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.

Nurse72 : Ate you referring to metabolic acidosis or respiratory acidosis?
Customer: I think metabolic
Nurse72 : Is this a diabetic ?
Customer: No
Nurse72 : In medicine, metabolic acidosis is a condition that occurs when the body produces too much acid or when the kidneys are not removing enough acid from the body. If unchecked, metabolic acidosis leads to acidemia, i.e., blood pH is low (less than 7.35) due to increased production of hydrogen by the body or the inability of the body to form bicarbonate (HCO3-) in the kidney. Its causes are diverse, and its consequences can be serious, including coma and death. Together with respiratory acidosis, it is one of the two general causes of acidemia.
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
Can I clarify this for you ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--I'll try again. First are you asking about the acidosis associated with ketosis like what you had?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know that ive been Assessed with being acidotic about a week ago. Im just kinda wondering what causes it and such. And why the dr is worried about it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, there are many causes for a metabolic acidosis but ketoacidosis where the body is burning ketone bodies as is seen in uncontrolled diabetes or, as most likely in your case, there is near starvation, is one type. What did your doctor say about the acidosis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He really didnt say anything about it. He attributed my dyspnea to acidosis. But when i saw my reg dr yesterday he said my pulse is elevated and i could be becoming acidotic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So did you have blood work that showed the acidosis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont think so. All my blood work showed was low potassium, chloride, and carbon dioxide. But i was breathing fast and my pulse was 156
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So why did your doctor think you were becoming acidotic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because my pulse was fast
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Ok--the lab work would seem to indicate a metabolic acidosis but as I said before, that was likely from your being ketotic from not eating. Fortunately, that type of acidosis is easily resolved with food on a normal daily basis and there'd be no permanent harm done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if Im still not eating
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, we haven't really talked about that before. Why aren't you eating--are you anorexic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it started off with me not eating like 3 wks ago. And then it went to me eating a little and purging it up. And now i have no appetite at all so im not eating. I drink about 20 oz of water a day
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, for all intents and purposes, that is anorexia/bulimia--have you talked about that with your doctor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And what did he have to say?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That i need to try to eat 2 times a day and i can purge once
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That really isn't saying much at all about treating the problem. So even with his telling you to eat twice a day you haven't done that? You're not even able to force yourself to eat something?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No im just not hungry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So how do you want me to help you with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont i just wanted to know what causes acidosis and symptoms of it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--I mentioned ketoacidosis which is what I think is your problem. And one can try to compensate with faster breathing and it can cause a rapid pulse. What more did you want to know? And, by the way, you will get a lot sicker if you don't eat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thats all i really wanted to know. How can I get a lot sicker
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If you don't eat, there can be kidney and liver failure as well as infections.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That takes longer than 3 weeks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Whyd you close this conversation
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--was off line. Yes--that takes longer than three weeks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If i ocassionslly eat a normal meal every once in a while will it keep me out of starvation mode
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by a normal meal and how often are you planning to have one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Like today i had meatless taco in a bag. And i was thinking once every two weeks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let's go back for a moment, because this is very important--you seem to have anorexia and/or bulimia and that needs therapy. Are you considering getting therapy for this? I mean, quite frankly, anyone planning on only eating once every two weeks has a major problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have bulimia. I see my dr almost weekly and have a therapist. I just want to know if eating real meal every 2 weeks or so will keep me outta starvation mode. Also what ate the odds that Im gunna gain wait from wating today?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--the therapy obvious isn't helping much or you aren't telling your therapist about the recent backslide. That said, unless you eat at least a good amount every other day, you'll stay in ketosis and damage can be done. And no, one little meal like what you described would not cause any weight gain--in fact, it wouldn't stop weight loss.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I am starting therapy back up again next week. So he really doesnt know
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Good--in the meantime, you really should try eating more--at least something every day without the purging.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I eat some applesauce almost daily. What are the long term effects of staying in ketosis
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I already told you--if it lasts more than a few weeks there can be liver and/or kidney failure, And with the possible electrolyte imbalance, possible heart damage. Basically bad news if you stay that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will them risks lessen if i eat a little everyday
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--at least if you eat something with a decent calorie content and some carbohydrates.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So like 1/2 cup applesauce and
1 string cheese
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--not enough. At least a total of 500 calories a day--better if you can manage 1000 calories a day
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh ok im lucky if i mange 250 on a good day
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, luck has nothing to do with it--it's purely by your own choice. You might try just munching on something several times a day--even just a bit of Ensure or something that's calorie dense so you won't think you're eating all that much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Welcome--any time
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fyi: i gained 3 pounds from eating today :(
One quick question. In both my hands i have tingly sensations esp if i open or close them. Any thoughts