Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

what are these red bumps on my throat?

what are these red bumps on my throat?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

Where are the bumps located?
Do you still have your tonsils?
Do you have a sore throat?
How long have you noted the bumps?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
at the back of throay... i still have my tonsils. got sore throat that comes and goes.. more than two months now...

it looks like strep throat.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Do you have pus spots on your tonsils? (white spots?)
Swollen glands in your neck?
Are the spots on your tonsils or behind them?
Do you have any mucus drainage down the back of your throat?
Fever?

Has your doctor done a throat swab to check for infections?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i saw pus spots on my tonsils..
swollen galnds on the right side of my neck that last for half a day
yes there is mucus drainage down the back of my throat.

my gp haven't done a throat swab yet
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying, John.

Red bumps in the throat can be a sign of infection (viral or bacterial) or, if at the very back of the throat, they may be due to your postnasal drainage.

If you have had a sore throat and pus spots along with swollen glands, it is more likely that you have a throat infection.

Strep throat is more likely if you have a fever, swollen glands, pus spots and if you do not have a cough.

I would have your doctor check you out and do a strep test. Strep is easily treated with antibiotics and you should feel better quickly if this is your diagnosis.

Mono can also cause pus spots, swollen glands and fatigue....this would be another consideration if your strep test is negative.

I hope you feel better soon,

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
:( what's the possibility that this is a symptom of hiv?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Well, I would need more information.
Have you had a known exposure to HIV?
Have you been tested? If so, after what time period after the exposure?
Have you had fever? Rash?

dr abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i think i been expose because i had sex with a guy that i just met..
got tested march 12 it was neg..

got another test last week and will get the result tomorrow..
i think i have fever but its not really bad.. if i had a fever how severe it shoud to be a symptom of hiv?

got some rash on my neck :(( can u please show me any rash pics from hiv?
please
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Sore throat can be a symptom of HIV but it is more likely to be due to a different virus or bacteria.
Red bumps do not mean HIV. Ulcers in the throat can be seen with HIV.
The rash with HIV can be variable. It is usually small, 5-10 mm pink or red, round or oval flat or raised bumps on the upper chest, collar area and face.

I am unable to find a good picture for you.

The fever is usually at least 100.4

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States