Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

Hey my pulse rate has been hovering around 96 to 108 I am at

Customer Question

Hey my pulse rate has been hovering around 96 to 108 I am at work but I am not like doing alot of stress full activitys just standing and walking around every once in awhile is this normal or should I be concerned about the rate ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
What is your baseline pulse rate at home in resting phase? How often you notice your pulse rate going up? Do you have any medical problems? Are your under any stress?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm when I first get up its like 67 at home during day it varays but like in the 80s I do take Xanax for anxiety but that's only conditions I know of i did goto cardiologist about a month ago and did a neculer stress test and ultrasound all came back normal so not sure
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
I can understand your concern.
Based on your description, you seem to have fluctuating pulse rate throughout the day which is quite normal. A pulse rate between 60 to 100 is considered normal. Our pulse rate normally fluctuate depending upon the activity level, stress, medical problems, and time of the day. Since you have anxiety problem, an episodic increase in pulse rate could be part of it. Since your pulse is within the normal range of fluctuation, a few time little over 100, there is nothing much to worry at this time. Just try to reduce your stress and monitor your pulse, if it's persistently high then you may like to see your doctor for proper evaluation and management.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So it seems to be at like 108 the last couple of times I took it which was like 5 mins ago .. I am not resting or laying down I am at work so just tO make sure you think this is normal to be high for a period of time ? Is there anything I should watch for like a rate that would be to high ?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
being little above 100 for short period of time is okay because any physical activities/light work may increase your heart rate. In the meantime, beside keeping eye on pulse rate, you can watch for dizziness, lightheaded, fainting, skip beat, chest pain, shortness of breath. If you develop these symptoms, then please visit your doctor for proper evaluation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still at work but it's still at about 108 beats per min feeling like a little headache coming on but I have had a head cold for about 3 days is this still ok
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
I think it is fine, headache is common in head and neck infection. As you recover, it will subside.
I think you need to rest and relax, as stress can also cause increase in pulse rate. Moreover, if you are having infection/fever, then it can also cause increase in your pulse rate. Overall, I think you will be fine.