Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

About 3 days ago, I developed a pain that begins atthe back

Customer Question

About 3 days ago, I developed a pain that begins atthe back my head, at the base of the skull. When I turn my head no more that 45 degrees in either direction, a pain shoots halfway up my head and feels like it is inside. That could be an illusion if it is a muscle but it is uncomfortable. When I need to turn my head, I end up havingto turn my shoulders so I can see what I am trying to look at.

Any thoughts? If I pulled a muscle, I do not recall doing it. Sleeping on that particular is also a bit uncomfortable. Your input would be appreciated. Thank You
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have any other head and neck infection? Any history of neck arthritis/injury? How severe is the pain when you put your chin on chest or bend it to your side? Do you see any improvement with ibuprofen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am getting over a chest cold and coughing but it has pretty much subsided. I have no infections that I am aware of. No cuts, etc. No history of any arthritis. 9/11/2007 I had a fractured larynx but have had no side effects since it healed.

When I put my chin to chest, I have no discomfort. When I turn the head however, the pain shoots up to the head. On a scale of 1-10 I would say the pain is around 5.

No improvement with ibuprofin.

Thank You

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you seem to have neck pain without any other associated symptoms. Acute onset of mild to moderate neck pain is mostly due to minor issues such as muscle pull or bad posture. In most cases, these pain improve with conservative measures such as rest, pain meds, heating pad, and physiotherapy. It may take about 10 days or so to completely recover from it. I see that you are already taking OTC pain meds with little help. Now you may like to use heating pad, and get some neck physiotherapy. Since you pain is also radiating/shooting, it is quite possible that it's a neurogenic pain. Even in those cases, conservative measures are helpful. However, there are many other potential causes of neck pain such as arthritis, pinched nerve, musculoskeletal pain etc. Since you do not have fever, nausea, headache, confusion, inability to put chin on chest, or any other symptoms, you can expect gradual recovery. If you can make it, then it is also a good idea to visit your doctor for evaluation and stronger pain meds.

Please let me know if you have any other question.