Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have had a cough/cold for about 8 days now and today (Day

I have had a cough/cold for about 8 days now and today (Day 8) upon bringing up phlegm Sometimes there has been in blood in it sometimes there hasnt, ive just wiped my nose and there was a streak of blood there, what have I got?
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

What is the color of sputum? Do you have fever, nausea, breathing difficulties? How severe is your cough?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Sputum is clear, but now and then with a little bit of blood in, earlier today a couple of times it was mainly red, literally only 3/4 times, it seems to have easied off abit with the amount of redness, I have no breathing difficulties or nausea, or a fever I feel fine, My cough is only slightly now, The worse was last week.

Thank you for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. Based on your description, you developed all these symptoms (productive cough & blood) after getting cold/respiratory tract infection. It seems like a case of acute bronchitis which can present like this. In most cases, it is cased by viral infection and antibiotic is not required. Also, people with bronchitis commonly report blood in sputum. Thus, this scenario fits well in your case. As you recover from bronchitis all these symptoms will subside. I also see that you noticed blood in nasal discharge, this is due to inflamed nasal mucosa which are vulnerable to bleeding. It is also important to know that these are many other potential causes of blood in sputum such as pneumonia, foreign body, other lungs diseases, and tumor, but you would see additional symptoms in these cases. Since you are suffering from all these symptoms for a week, I think it is better to see your doctor for proper evaluation and management. This will at least rule out all those potential causes of bleeding. If you doctor suspect secondary bacterial infection, he may suggest antibiotic.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi thanks for your reply,

How long would it usually take for this to pass over if it is what you have said? Or how long should it be till I stop seeing the blood in the sputum?

So this is nothing to do with a stomach ulcer as someone scared me with earlier as a possibility?
Since you see the blood in sputum, this is coming from respiratory tract. Also, blood from respiratory tract is bright red. Thus, the source of blood is your respiratory tract. Most people with acute bronchitis recover from it within few days, but the cough may persist for several weeks. If you are a healthy person, then you will see gradual improvement in your symptoms. As you recover cough and blood will disappear. The improvement may vary from person to person, but most people recover from it gradually. However, whenever there is blood in sputum, it is recommended to see your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So how come I dont alsways see blood but sometimes I do?

Would I be ok in giving it 24/48hours before going to see a doctor to see if it eases up/ disapears?
You may not see blood every time,,,, it is not mandatory to have that way.
I think you can wait for 1-2 days before you see your doctor. This is not an medical emergency, so you can plan a routine visit after 2 days.