Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I had a laperoscopy two weeks ago today. Tonight I was sitting

I had a laperoscopy two weeks ago today. Tonight I was sitting on the couch and my belly button incision started bleeding. I went and looked at it and the actual incision is opening up and you can see like a half inch into the incision. It has stopped bleeding. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and put some neosporin on it with a band aid. Is this something I can wait until tomorrow morning to call my doctor or do i need to go to the emergency room. It doesnt hurt at all just dont want it to get worse.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

Yes this is something you can wait until in the morning to call the surgeon or doctor. Covering with the bandaid is a good idea. I would not necessarily continue to put hydrogen peroxide in the wound unless your doctor agrees (hydrogen peroxide removes dead tissue, but can damage new tissue and prevent healing - although that you did it one time will not hurt you) The condition of the tissue in the wound will determine the treatment prescribed and will depend on what is found on examination tomorrow.

Of course if you were to develop additional symptoms (high fever, continuous bleeding, red streaking or swelling and puffiness of the skin in the area) then a trip to the emergency room would be suggested, but with the current symptoms you have described you can wait until tomorrow. (It would not be expected that you would develop these more severe symptoms)

Good luck,, and please reply if you have further questions.
Hello. Just checking to see what the outcome was of your doctor visit, if you care to share.