Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

Hello, Last evening I started to get a headache, small, but

Hello, Last evening I started to get a headache, small, but a nuisance. After about two hours it grew into a monster headache and was accompanied by shakes and nausea and feeling weak. This kept me up all night, and I fell in and out of sleep. In the morning, the nausea had gotten better, but the headache was worse. Eventually, the headache receded and now I have some stomach pains, and small bit of the headache lingering, but tolerable. I never had a fever, and if anything, my temp seemed lower then normal when I took it. I was curious what this sounded like, and if I have more to worry about?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Where exactly you have headache? Do you have any other symptoms such as runny nose, throat discomfort, cough, diarrhea? What is the nature of abdomen pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my headache would shift around, somtimes behind my eyes, sometimes my temples, left or right, and sometimes more towards the base of my head. I did have a small runny nose that came on briefly and then seemed to go away. No cough. No real diarrhea, although when I was nauseas I would go to the bathroom a few times, but not diarrhea. The pains in the stomach are something I have gotten over the past couple years on and off, and i did have a small flair up lst night and even right now, lower right abdoman, around my right pelvic bone and sometime more in my right groin area. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Do you feel pain when you press in your right lower abdomen? Are you feeling tired and weak? Are you still having shaking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did feel tired and weak, and still do a bit, but less so today then yesterday. I can press on my abdomen and it seems ok, but i will get pains there on occasion when it flares up, burning, sore sensations, sometimes a numbness or coolness, and other times a tingling pain that can shift around. The pain can range from a 1 to maybe a 3.5 on the pain scale. I can jump up and down and do a jumping jack. Yesterday I thought I had a flu or something.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.
Based on your description, you seem to have wide range of symptoms that may or may not be related to each other. Headache, runny nose, nausea, and shaking, all are suggesting infection in head & neck region; most likely viral. However, right lower abdomen pain, nausea, shaking etc can be related to gastrointestinal infection/appendicitis. It is not possible to pin point a specific cause especially when you have mixed presentation. If you are recovering quickly, then viral infection is likely, but if your symptoms are still persisting then a proper evaluation is required along with blood and urine test to rule out other potential causes that may present like this. Considering the wide number of acute symptoms, I strongly recommend visiting your doctor for proper evaluation and management.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you speak more about apendicitus and what symptoms make you think so. I have had that scare before with this same pains over the last couple years and the doctor never thinks its that, but something else less acute and more chronic. I havent gotten follow up testing to see what it is exactly, but seeing as i have had that over the last 2 years, i think it was more just happened to appear last night with the other symptoms, but may not be related directly. I dont know though, I do have a fear of appendicitus. A bit pf a phobia about it.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Acute pain in right lower abdomen along with nausea, shaking, and tiredness could be linked to appendicitis. People with appendicitis also experience pain when they press in that area or feel pain when they cough/sneeze? You have some of the features, but not all that is why we need to do blood test to see if there is infection. However, appendicitis may not last for years so your must get it evaluated. You can read more about it from this link:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/appendicitis/DS00274/DSECTION=symptoms

I not fully convinced that it is acute appendicitis but worth ruling out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it true then you would get the pain when pressing in the area and you dont have to be specific. Just general lower right area, and it would be pretty strong, not subtle pain? Like something is clearly wrong. And you would not be able to walk around, do a jumping jack or jump up and down with a lot of pain?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
When you press in that area you will get pain, but when you release your hand suddenly you will get sharp pain. We call this phenomenon as rebound tenderness. This sign suggest that there is active infection in that area. During the acute attack, you may experience pain in that area with jumping/coughing etc. It is also important to keep in mind that not all people will have typical presentation. Sometimes, people present with vague symptoms that turns out a appendicitis. Thus, whenever there is suspicion about it, it is better to rule out this possibility by physical exam and blood test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But it would be strange to have it linger and also come and go, wax and wane, sometimes weeks without any pain, then it comes back for a few days, then goes away , all over the last 2 years. That would be unusual for Appendicitus?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you are right! That is unusual for appendicitis. If you are having pain in the same area for years, then it is better to get it investigated by a gastroenterologist as they are specialized in this kind of problem. They can do blood test, ultrasound,Ct scan, or laparoscopy to make final diagnosis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But in the short term, my symptoms from yesterday and today, they seem to be trending in the right direction, i can read and watch tv, ate small meals today, and generally my headache and weakness are much better. It seems like IM getting better? Maybe it was a virus or something? Maybe food piosoning?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Yes, this kind of short presentation can be due to viral infection or gastroenteritis.
Since you are getting better, just continue with rest, and drink adequate water. If you develop fever or any other additional symptoms, please consider doctor visit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for your time, I know this case is hard to treat online, but the talk did help me feel better about things a bit. I appreciate your time.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome!
Thank you for visiting justanswer.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.