Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

why do my legs feel stiff after laying or sitting? After standing

why do my legs feel stiff after laying or sitting? After standing for a while I also feel like my legs have been driven up in my back.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
The cause of stiffness of legs may be secondary to Restless Leg Syndrome(RLS) in which there is a desire to constantly stretch and move the legs especially at night .Other causes would include Peripheral Arterial Disease or insufficiency caused by stenosis or blockage of the arteries leading to insufficient oxygenation.Peripheral neuropathy due to involvement of the nerves of the legs is another cause.Electrolyte imbalance,especially magnesium deficiency has also been implicated as a factor causing similar symptoms.You probably need to see your PCP/Doctor who can examine you and investigate you further based on the clinical findings.Magnesium supplements may help in such symptoms.Atherosclerosis may also cause decrease in blood flow to the legs,Deep Vein Thrombosis is another cause though there will be redness and swelling of the legs with this.Smoking may aggravate conditions which dcrease the blood supply.A doppler study of theleg vessels,Nerve Conduction Velocity studies will help reach a diagnosis.There is no specific test for RLS which is a clinical diagnosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is no swelling or redness, however I get red bump like pimples all over my legs and feet as if something has bitten me. I was thinking this is from dry skin mostly. Chiropractor has told me that I have deteriorating disks in my lower back. Can this be causing what I am going through?
Yes, Degenerative Disc disease will cause collapse of the disc and result in Radiculitis or pressure on the spinal nerve roots at the Lumbosacral level.This will indeed cause neuropathic pain and restlessness apart from tingling and a pins and needle sensation in the legs .You will need a MRI scan to diagnose this problem.Pregabalin or Gabapentin will help with neuropathic pain.