Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have had a burning in my chest and I feel like something

I have had a burning in my chest and I feel like something is caught in my lower throat, and I sometimes feel lightheaded,I am a 55 year old caucasian female weighing 112 lbs and exercise everyday. can you help with this.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How often you feel burning sensation? is it more common in empty stomach/after eating spicy food/any other specific food? Any acid reflux, belching, upper abdomen pain? is this pain radiating to your back/jaw/left arm? Any other health issues?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No spicy foods, but after I eat or on an empty stomach. I sometimes feel my chest heavy and the area right under my breast bone burns. no jaw pain or left arm. No other health issues, I am not on meds, but this started after taking Nasonex (which I have stopped two weeks age)

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, this is a new symptom and most likely related to your upper gastrointestinal tract. Although you feel burning sensation in your chest, problems like reflux esophagitis/GERD/Gastritis can also present like this. At this time, you may like to try OTC antacid or prilosec and see if that helps you. If the problem persist, you will have to see your doctor for proper evaluation. In the meantime, try to avoid foods that may aggravate your symptoms. Also avoid alcohol/smoking/OTC pain meds. Considering the relationship with food, burning sensation, throat discomfort, and lack of any other health issues, I don't think that it is heart related, but heart issues should be ruled out in every cases of chest pain and discomfort, especially in older people. If you can make it to your physician, then you may like to get EKG and their opinion because in older adults we always want to rule out heart issues first, then move to other potential cause.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.