Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have 2 sometimes 3 bumps on my vein , on lower wrist / forearm

Customer Question

I have 2 sometimes 3 bumps on my vein , on lower wrist / forearm ? It comes and goes and my veins are very blue and prominent . I had a upper and lower extremitiy Doppler last week to check is any blockage for something else, was told all good. I am nervous cause when I look it up online for lumps or bumps in vein it says blood clot? Can cause stroke but not sure if it's what I am describing . On the vein from my top of hands that come down to wrist a little past wrist shows my veins a lot and I wlhace noticed the lumps on the same vein like 3 round pebbles. Doesn't hurt, I can push on it nothing .. What is this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Well, first off--I assume a doctor has looked at these bumps? And you're saying these come and go? Are you sure the bumps are part of a vein?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No always forget to show doctor ... Have other medical stuff going on so I forget . But I did not think veins have bumps. I am hoping it is not urgent. It's weird .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--but again--you say these come and go and are you sure they're part of a vein?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes if I lay my arm and relax for a few it's gone but the veins are big and noticeable I am thin 110 pounds 41 years old .. But they come and maybe 10 minutes will be gone .. Then may come back if I am using my hand to text etc...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--these are not clots and they are probably just areas where there are valves in the veins and with the normal distention that veins have depending on the positioning of the hands. And just so you'll know--a clot in a vein will not cause a stroke because it would first go to the heart and then get caught in the lungs and would never make it to the brain. Also, clots in leg veins are common, but they are very rare in arm and hand veins.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What causes the veins to pool and causes bulging ? It' looks like bulging bumps ! I hope it's not blood pooling
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What exactly do you mean by blood pooling?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess i mean Blood collecting in one area , maybe thecause these bumps .. I hope not and hope its normal .. I wish I could send a picture .. Lol I will call my doctor on Tuesday .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any time there's dependency--the hands being down at you sides, for example--there will be more blood in the veins and they will be somewhat distended--larger. What you're describing is normal and nothing to worry about, but have your doctor take a look the next time you see him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Welcome--any time.