How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Shah Your Own Question
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 3898
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Shah is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have itching and redness on the head of my penis that started

Resolved Question:

I have itching and redness on the head of my penis that started about 4 days ago. What can cause this and how do I treat this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have any urinary symptoms such as discharge, frequency, burning?
Any recent sexual contact with new partner or history of STDs? Does it look like blister or dry patch? Any pain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No urinary symptoms. No recent sexual activity with a new partner or history of stds. Looks more like a blister than a dry patch. No pain, only itching.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you seem to have itching and blisters like redness on the head of penis. There are many potential cause for this kind of presentation, but one of the common causes is herpes infection. Since you do not have history of STDs or recent sexual contact, this is less likely but still possible as herpes can remain asymptomatic for long time and show up latter on. Since you have itching and redness, it is also possible that you are experiencing contact dermatitis, allergy, or yeast infection. If you can make it, the it is better to visit your doctor for final diagnosis as it is a clinical diagnosis. just for your information, OTC hydrocortisone ointment can be helpful in treating dermatitis related symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Dr. Shah and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you