Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

Is it illegal, unethical, immoral to hand OTC pills to a nurse

Customer Question

Is it illegal, unethical, immoral to hand OTC pills to a nurse RN in a baggie, if you are in nursing school and a student. Would this be reasonable to Fail a student in a clinical environment for handing an OTC caffeine pill? Wouldn't there need to be a discussion in class or written information on the rules for giving an F in a course for an offense that was unrelated to earned grade.

As a nurse or doctor, what is your opinion on this F and this situation...
What steps can be taken to avoid an expulsion from the school. How can we fight this in a civil court case.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Do you mean as you as the student handed another student a caffeine pill?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am a student, I was working in a clinical class for my 2nd semester of nursing school. I became good friends with an RN. She was talking about being tired and I shared my OTC, jet alert pills with her. It seems that when I put them in a baggie, it became illegal, etc and I have received an F in the clinical class with expels me from the school. No discussion was held on the perils of drug handling to a professional.

The RN didn't see anything wrong or she would have stopped me. She met with the administration at her hospital and they advised her not to take anything from a student again. No big deal, meanwhile, me as the student, is expelled and failed from the college.

What's your thoughts on how to fight this injustice....
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Did the RN you give it to cause you to fail or was it someone else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another student turned me in, she told the professors she thought she witnessed me giving the RN Adderall. even thought the nurse and I denied that.... So it was another student that turned me in and me and the other student were shadowing the RN. Two students from Mercer College and the RN for Dekalb Hospital. No teacher/prof was involved in actual event.

I think she thought she was doing what was right in turning me in, but she had no idea the damage she would cause.

RN was an employee of the hospital in Atlanta that I was shadowing. The professor passed me, but the clinical coordinator gave me an F even though I earned a B in the course and my professor was not allowed to speak with me about the matter.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
This is hard to fight as this seems like an up hill battle for you.
But, 'usually' having your own medication in a baggie is not illegal and even given OTC to a friend is not illegal . But I see where they are questioning that you had a 'baggie' with pills and this was suspicious. I would have to say - you might want to talk to a lawyer about this and even the nurse you gave the caffeine pill to, to help you out.
Even submitting to a drug test
I really don't have a great answer for you on this other than getting some help from a lawyer .
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello from ja
The other expert has opted out
Do you have further questions
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.

When I was in nursing school we had a student handbook which outlined all rules such as this one. We had to sign a contract with this handbook. Were you given any kind of handbook?

Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello Bobbi,

I think you were treated unfairly here. Most colleges have a way to appeal an unfair grade given by a professor. That may be a way to go here, especially if you can get that nurse to sign a statement stating it was a legal OTC pill that you gave her.

I have done a lot of work as a school nurse, and there, it is against policy to accept pills from parents in plastic bags; they have to be in the pharmacy container. So, I can sort of understand how a fellow student would be leery of a pill in a baggie, but after the nurse explained to your professor that it was just a caffeine pill, a LEGAL OTC pill, that should have been the end of the situation.

I would appeal this through the schools channels first, were I you. If that fails, then I would consider possibly getting a lawyer.

I hope that helped,
Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm so sorry, I had gotten a message saying this was free, then my expert opted out. I didn't realize there was going to be another charge... Please forgive me, I didn't realize there was going to be additional charges....
Hello Bobbi...
I know the site can be a bit confusing. Dr Owens, the first expert who took this question is not working on it. But, I am more than happy to work with you here. I don't understand what you mean by "additional charges"; there are none. The money that you paid to the site is it...the Expert however does not get our share of the funds until you ACCEPT the answer; ie, press the green Accept button. Oh, and each time you click on a accept you will be charged; if you accept two answers (click twice), you will be charged twice.

I hope that clears things up.
Sincerely,
Susan
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 2 years ago.
You are able to respond multiple times to the same question even after hitting "accept" and you are only charged for the one question that began this thread.
Bobbi...
Nurse 72 is absolutely correct there...good that she added that caveat. However if you click the Accept button more than once in the same thread, you will be charged each time.
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I click the accept answer, does that mean I get charged $63 since this is a different group, I've already paid 75 dollar. I can't afford another big bill, but I want to pay you for your information.

So, if I accept answer, will it still pay you without charging me again?

Sorry, I am just a bit confused.

Thanks for you and Nurse 72 encouraging words. I'd like to e able to let you know how it turns out.
.
Hello Bobbi...
Thank you so much for the Accept and the bonus, it was so sweet of you. Clicking the Accept answer means I get paid for this; my share of the amount. The site gets 50%, I get 50% + the tip (thanks again). Yes, we can still talk AFTER you clicked Accept and I would love to hear how things go for you. I do think you were treated VERY unfairly. If you click Accept AGAIN, it will charge you again. (Please don't do it, unless you wish to be charged twice!)

I wish you luck, and please keep in touch on this thread....if its a new issue, site policy requires a new thread, but on this subject this thread is fine.

Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are going to the make an appt. with the provost, but the lawyer thinks this is just not going to make a difference.
Hi Bobbi...

Thanks so much for the update. Im also happy you have a lawyer, maybe the fact you do will make your school take you more seriously.

Did you have any run ins with your preceptor/ clinical instructor prior to this? Because it really seems like shes (or he) has something against you to be acting like this. Would your clinical instructor not have minded so much if you gave her the pill directly from the container as she was taught to do? Is the instructor against caffeine pills?

You have that nurse stating it was a legal pill. I don't understand why this is being blown up to such huge proportions. This should be no different than say, if you had given her two Motrin tablets in a little bag.

Sincerely,
Susan