Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

Im a very healthy, low-risk woman. I got the results from

Customer Question

I'm a very healthy, low-risk woman.

I got the results from my annual STD screen and was told I tested positive for HSV-2 IGG. There was no range associated with my test, just simply 'Positive', with an H beside it indicating high.

Why did my test not provide any number values? I haven't had any sort of outbreaks. I've only been with one person this year since my last STD screen. A week after we were together I had a very sore throat and swollen glands. Was this my indication of infection?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Customer:

Hi

Dr. Owen :

Do you have any outbreaks of herpes such as blisters with clear fluid

Customer:

No. No outbreaks

Dr. Owen :

Then you have an elevated IgG - all this means if that you have had Herpes for some time - but WHEN you got who knows

Dr. Owen :

You might have gotten it when you where a child - that is common too - such as a kiss from your relatives, parents, etc...

Customer:

I've never had an outbreak or any sort of prodome symptom. There is much literature on false positives

Dr. Owen :

Okay - Well here is the thing

Dr. Owen :

IgG will be positive in about 80% of the public

Dr. Owen :

And, MOST never have an outbreak

Dr. Owen :

All this means is that you have been exposed to HSV and that is all - you have it dormant in your body

Dr. Owen :

So fairly simple

Dr. Owen :

And, nothing to really be concerned about

Customer:

But yet I can pass it on to someone, so it is something to be concerned about.

Dr. Owen :

It is possible - but like I said 80% of the public has been exposed, and MOST never have outbreaks

Dr. Owen :

So, this really is not something we get concerned about when IgG is positive, it really is not

Customer:

Why does my gynocologist seem to think it's something to be concerned about then?

Dr. Owen :

Well your gyn does not understand the literature then

Dr. Owen :

Many doctors WRONGLY get this blood test - and honestly it is not a test that should be done because of what I just said

Customer:

Oh geez.

Dr. Owen :

because 80% of people will be positive - so WHY get it then

Customer:

So.. then I should just ignore this and go on living a normal life? Never disclosing to my potential partners?

Dr. Owen :

The literature says do not get this test

Dr. Owen :

Yes, LIVE your lifve

Dr. Owen :

ENJOY your LIFE

Dr. Owen :

LIVE

Dr. Owen :

forget the test

Customer:

Are you even a real doctor? This is some BS advice.

Dr. Owen :

Yes, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn in the US

Dr. Owen :

The ACOG literature - American College of Ob/Gyn literature specifically says there is no reason to get the HSV blood tests

Dr. Owen :

That is NOT how HSV should be tested for

Customer:

So this means nothing, and my GYN is wrong, and I dont actually have herpes?

Dr. Owen :

I've been a doctor for close to 20 years

Customer:

How should it be tested for?

Only if a lesion is developed?

Customer:
Dr. Owen :

Yes, your doctor needs to read the literature on HSV -

Dr. Owen :

it is in the ACOG Compendium

Dr. Owen :

If a lesion develops you get a culture

Dr. Owen :

NOT a blood test

Dr. Owen :

Your doctor did not do the right thing I am sorry to say

Customer:

Ok, so then I dont have to worry about infecting someone even though the literature also says that many people can live life asymptomatic even if they're infected

Customer:

If you were dating me and I told you this, you'd still be willing to have sex with me? Im not really believing you.

Dr. Owen :

There are ACOG Practice bulletins on HSV that your doctor should read - these are only available to those who actually pay the ACOG dues

Dr. Owen :

No, do not worry about this since you have NOT had any outbreaks

Dr. Owen :

You are only symptomatic when you have outbreaks (when you feel burning, stinging and then an outbreak occurs).

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

Thank you for your questions

Dr. Owen :

You can go to the Center for Disease Control website www.cdc.gov and check into this too.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :
Customer:

Okay. Yeah.

Dr. Owen :

Please provide Excellent - Satisfied feedback

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :
Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and please provide Excellent feedback with Satisfied feedback

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,
I need to clarify what DrOwen has written.
There are two strains of the Herpes Simplex Virus: Type 1 and Type 2. They are extremely closely related but have some differences. Type 1 prefers to live on the nerves of the face and is associated with outbreaks on the lips. It is that one that approximately 80% of Americans test positive for and do have. Type 2, the one you tested positive for, prefers the nerves of the genitals and is more commonly associated with genital outbreaks. However, someone can get HSV1 on the genitals and HSV2 on the face.

Its approximated that 40% of people in the USA test positive for HSV2, as you do, even though the site I will give you from the CDC places that figure at 16%, but they only include people ages 14-49. YES, even though you don't think you have had an outbreak, you may have had and not realize it. Also, people can asymptomatically shed the virus. So please DO inform partners that you have HSV2.

Here is some more information regarding HSV2: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
/pubmedhealth/PMH0001860/

And from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes.htm

I hope that helped,
Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness