Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

WHY DOES MY SKIN TASTE SALTY?

WHY DOES MY SKIN TASTE SALTY?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 4 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Is it only your fingers that taste salty?

Customer:

No, but it is saltyer on my fingers than on arms.

Dr Brims :

Okay, it is normal for your skin to taste salty due to sweat, but there may be some of the saline solution touching your hands while or after you rinse

Customer:

could it have anything to do with my type 2 diabetes. that is controlled with Metformin and my numbers have been in normal range. I also take levethryoine for hypothyroidism. but I have noticed this just since the sinus surgery and using the sinus rinse. If I wash my hands, the salty taste goes away for a little while, then returns. I just retasted my arms and the do seem rather salty.

Dr Brims :

It is unlikely related to diabetes, it may be related to hypothyroidism, you may have an increased metabolic rate from levothyroxine

Dr Brims :

The usual cause is an increased metabolic rate, and that may be what you are experiencing

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

What are the symptoms of hyperthyroidism?

Dr Brims :

heat intolerance,fine tremors, palpitations, increased appetite are common

Dr Brims :

Diarrhea

Customer:

I have had heat intolerance and fine tremors for years, but don't have the others.

Dr Brims :

You don't need to have all of the symptoms for it to be present

Customer:

Ok, I guess I just need to see my doctor. Is this anything urgent? I will see her a couple of months.

Dr Brims :

This is not urgent if you don't have palpitations, may I ask when you had you last thyroid function tests?

Customer:

About 3 months ago

Dr Brims :

Okay, that is sufficient

Customer:

ok, but I still don't understand why my skin tastes salty.

Dr Brims :

It may be because of an elevated metabolic rate, which may be because of the surgery you just had (inflammation), it could be because of levothyroxine

Dr Brims :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is it is either from the saline rinse, or it is from sweat

Customer:

ok, thanks. I quess it will resolve itself or if not, I will be seeing my dr. in a couple of months. I just needed to know if it was something urgent or not, and it appears to be not.