Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Painful lump at base of head on the right side. Hurts to touch

Painful lump at base of head on the right side. Hurts to touch and uncomfortable when not touched.
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

Did you have painful swelling at base of penis head?
Does it look like acne or blister?
Do you have history of unprotected sex with multiple partners?
How long has this been going on for?
Any past significant medical illness?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For one thing my gender is female and I don't have a penis! The lump is on the head that's on my shoulders. No it does not look like acne or blister. Sex has nothing to do with it. I've had it for 4-5 days. I have type 2 diabetes and low thyroid.

Thanks for the additional information.
I am sorry for the previous questions, as your gender information was not visible in last post.
Now i know that you are 58 female, and have lump on shoulder.
I need a little more information:

Do you have any injury?
Is the lump hard and immovable?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not on my shoulder. It's at the base of my skull on the right side. I have not had an injury. It feels hard and immovable.
Thanks for the quick additional information.
Well, painful, hard and immovable lump on right side of base of head can be due to enlarged lymph node.

Usually neck lymph nodes enlarge when there is an infection in the head , neck and face region.As it is painful and tender it indicates active inflammation. Usually they are self limiting and resolve on their own.

It is better to see your doctor and start on antibiotics to resolve the infection and also the node.If the node doesn't come down with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory then further tests like needle biopsy have to be done

You can take tylenol or motrin for the pain and the inflammation to reduce in the meanwhile. Also hot fomentation may help with pain.

I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

I trust I've helped, and please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
Best wishes

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician