Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

Hi, I have discovered a small lump on my head, its hard

I have discovered a small lump on my head, it's hard and doesn't hurt when I touch it. It's probably about a cm in diameter.

I am a 33 year old female. Do you have any idea what it might be and whether I have anything to worry about?

Thanks,

Steph
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Is it soft?

Dr. Owen :

Where on your head?

Customer:

It is hard and it's near the top of my head. I am wondering if it's been caused by a bump i've received at some point (as I am quite clumsy).

Dr. Owen :

It could be from trauma

Dr. Owen :

It could be a lipoma (a fatty tumor - that is benign and easily removed).

Dr. Owen :

But, to be sure this should be evaluated in person by your doctor.

Customer:

Would a lipoma be hard?

Dr. Owen :

But, unlikely this is anything serious or concerning.

Dr. Owen :

A lipoma is a fatty tissue

Dr. Owen :

tumor that is NOT a cancer

Customer:

The reason I haven't gone to my doctor is because I am on a long stay in Canada at the moment, my Doctor is in the UK

Customer:

Phew! :-)

Customer:

A Doctors appointment could cost me quite a lot, but do you think it's worth it?

Dr. Owen :

Well it would be worth just to be taken care of.

Dr. Owen :

But, it is not an emergency either most likely

Dr. Owen :

But, I would recommend getting seen in the next 1 to 2 months IF this lump does not decrease in size.

Dr. Owen :

I Hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your help!

Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate