Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

Customer Question

I have been stuttering all my life and I want to know if there are any antipsychotic medications for stuttering treatment? Or if I can go to a neurologist so he could do a stuttering research? Could a hypnosis help? Appreciate the help if I get any..
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
Stuttering is a speech disorder characterised by a disruption in the normal flow of speech by frequent repetition of words/syllables and inability to start a word.Neurological disorder result in neurogenic stutterings may whereas psychogenic problems including social anxiety and emotional stress apart from other psychiatric disorders.The stuttering is essentially a movement disorder of speech with observable effects on the jaw,mouth and facial muscles.The help of a Speech Language pathologist is sought who will help diagnose and pinpoint the problem.Help of a psychiatrist or a mental health professional may also be required.Once the problem has been diagnosed,the treatment can then be specific to the problem.For adults behavioural and cognitive therapies apart from speech training are helpful in rehabilitation.Ruling out serious CNS disease is a essential step and the help of a neurolgist may also be needed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Get another answer from a Psychiatrist/neurologist.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.