Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

I sneezed today but tried to hold it in and it ended up being

I sneezed today but tried to hold it in and it ended up being very painful. It still hurts 3 hours later. It hurts somewhere above the roof of my mouth and gets really bad when i swallow anything. What can i do?
Hello JAcustomer,

I would like to try to help you but I need some additional information. Are you having any difficulty breathing or swallowing? What does the pain feel like? Stabbing, burning, muscle pain? Is it getting better or worse over time?

Thank you for clarifying,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have no problems with breathing.
Swallowing hurts. i would sat the pain is stabbing (quick) only seems to be when the swallowing muscles are actually moving. but i can swallow liquids i haven't tried food - i don't really want to.
Hello JAcustomer,

Please understand that online no one can state with certainty what anything actually is, all we can do is offer a best guess based on what you wrote.

To be honest, I am a little concerned here. A sneeze is more powerful than most people realize; the force of the air sneezed can be very powerful. Now, you have pain on swallowing; that MAY be because you pulled a muscle and if that is the case it should go away in a few days as muscle pulls can do.

However, I cant overlook that people have actually had worse damage from holding in a sneeze. Fractured noses, burst blood vessels, damaged sinuses and effects to the middle ear. The pain you describe is also stabbing and not a muscle ache.

So to be absolutely on the side of safety, for if one errs it must be on the side of caution and safety, I would like you to have this pain of yours evaluated tonight; I know its late but Emergency Rooms are open 24 hours a day. If you did real damage I am concerned about possible swelling that could impact your breathing.

A link on this:

I hope I was able to help, and please feel better soon
Hi Alex,

Its Nurse Susan from Just Answer. I am writing to find out how you are feeling and what happened with your throat after your held in sneeze. If you did have this evaluated as I suggested, what did they find?

I hope you are feeling much better,