911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

Black eye and bruising on the face after falling andhitting

Customer Question

Black eye and bruising on the face after falling andhitting head. Could there be more going on?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

any loss of consiousness?

911Doctor :

dizziness?

911Doctor :

vomitting?

Customer : No
911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

why did you fall?

Customer : Was getting out of tub and slipped.
911Doctor :

okay, that's good (i dont' mean good that you felll) because there is an explanation for the fall... in other words, you didn't pass out or have a heart attack or stroke etc...

911Doctor :

so to the head injury itself

911Doctor :

is the black eye and bruising on one side only or do you have two black eyes?

911Doctor :

also, when did this happen?

Customer : Only on one side,fell last Wednesday (5/02) black eye came slowly and bruising color or side of head even slower. Most color under the eye.
911Doctor :

ah! very good news indeed!

911Doctor :

so if something bad is going to happen from a bump on the head

911Doctor :

a subdural or epidural hematoma... a skull fracture.... etc....

911Doctor :

the things that can be very harmful, even deadly

911Doctor :

then this is going to happen within 48 hours of the injury

911Doctor :

in almost all cases

911Doctor :

no

911Doctor :

'now'

911Doctor :

as people age this number is XXXX reliable but you are over a week out from your injury and have not had any of the dangerous symptoms or signs of severe head injury....

911Doctor :

namely,

911Doctor :

headache which keeps getting worse, nausea, vomiting, difficulty walking and the like...

911Doctor :

so

911Doctor :

right now the injury LOOKS bad because the blood from the black eye is being broken down and it's changing colors and spreading

911Doctor :

but this simply looks bad

911Doctor :

it is nothing to worry about

911Doctor :

so what i would tell someone like you if you were MY patient would be this...

911Doctor :

if you develop any worrisome symptoms that are listed above in the next week or two, it's probably worth seeing your docto

911Doctor :

other than that let the bruise resolve

Customer : Thank you
911Doctor :

you are most welcome

911Doctor :

can i help you with anything else?

Customer : No, thank you
911Doctor :

wonderful

911Doctor :

hope the bruise goes away soon

911Doctor :

and thanks for your business and question

911Doctor :

'excellent' feedback is always appreciated and drop by anytime... aks for '911doc' if you have enjoyed our chat.

Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
i see that you went offline. i am standing by should you have further questions. thanks again for the business.