Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

susan my question is if my wrist was sprained moderately, how

susan my question is if my wrist was sprained moderately, how did it swell the next day and continually get worse? i worked for several days before going to my family dr. where he put me in a splint and ordered a ct scan, if you think it would have been bad enough for a ct scan then why wouldnt the er dr. do one?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Thank you so much for requesting me. Absolutely if your wrist was moderately sprained, that is a trauma which will result in some swelling. And, not all swelling happens immediately. When people are injured, there is a whole cascade of responses. Tissue thats been injured releases chemicals and fluids which attract the right cells to repair the damage and to handle any germs that may be in the area, and , that results in the swelling, and those reactions can take a while to have effects that can be seen. I am not surprised that a sprain, which is a pull or at its worst, a tear of the ligament that connects the bones, resulted in swelling that got worse before it got better...and took a couple of days to get worse.

Here is a website on inflammation (swelling) and how it works. The site is written in a bit of jargon, but its readable. Its really an oral health site but the information applies. Finding a good explanatory website took quite some time.
: http://www.adha.org/CE_courses/course13/inflammatory_process.htm

Information on sprains: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/wrist-sprain

I hope that helped,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why wouldn't it swell right after it hurt. It didn't seven hurt til several hours later. I thought I was fine when I woke up..
HelloCustomer

I can think of a few reasons. You had just been in a car accident and had whiplash; severe enough to require fusion of cervical vertebrae. Its possible the pain and adrenaline of the accident and whiplash dwarfed the pain of the sprained wrist. Also, the whiplash affected the cervical vertebrae that handle feeling down into your arms; you had numbness and tingling in your hands and arms. That also may have interfered with the pain of the sprained wrist, and only when the whiplash pain had subsided could the wrist pain be fully felt.

The sprained wrist was not clear in your first question...I really believe now the sprain is the most likely cause of the swelling.

I hope that helped,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why wouldn't my wrist swell until the next day. Accept answer and tip u on next response.
HelloCustomer

Swelling doesn't happen spontaneously and drastically and dramatically like that...except in some real severe trauma. Its possible that your wrist was swelling up, slowly and gradually, and between the whiplash and pain of that and the horror at the accident, you did not even realize it was swollen until the very next day.

That has happened with me before; Ive not sprained anything recently but Ive given myself some good hard bangs against furniture and did not see the bruise and swelling until the next day. Its actually rather normal for it to happen that way though I understand it seems unusual. Thats why I included the page on the inflammatory process so you could understand what happens when we get damaged by sprains or other trauma. I am again happy your hand is fine now.

I hope that helped, and thank you in advance for any tip you decide to give, and for the Accept.

Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nurse it happeeneed at 5 miles per hour. Is all that possible.
HiCustomer

Yes, its possible, even at that slow speed if your hand landed in the wrong place. It gave you whiplash; I am not surprised at a sprain. And, though you may have been going 5mph, the speed of the other car matters also...if he hit you going 5mph as well, the impact effect was 10mph total; each cars speed is added.

Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was parked when he reversed into me so it was only 5mph
HelloCustomer

Oh that totally is horrible; at least it was completely the other guys fault. I hope he paid for your medical bills regarding this. And yes, I can believe all this still occurred, even at 5mph.

Sincerely,
Susan