Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Dear Doctor, i have in a constant state of anxiety and worry

Dear Doctor, i have in a constant state of anxiety and worry now for about 6 weeks in relation to a number of health problems that just happened to occur when organising a family trip overseas (thought I had appendicitic prior to going, then once overseas suspected DVT then Pulmonary embolus). I have now just got over an upper respiratory tract infection involving a temperature and on thinking about the affect all this has had on my immune system, I instantly started panicking about this leading to Guillian Barre Syndrome. I now cannot stop thinking about this so that my anxiety and stress continue and has escalated. Please advise.

MD doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD doc :

I can understand and sympathize with your problem

MD doc :

It would appear that you are now suffering from excessive anxiety, and this could be precipitated by the prior medical history,

MD doc :

The anxiety appears exaggerated and irrational, and bordering on obsessiveness.

MD doc :

I would recommend that given the significant distress that this is causing you, and the escalating symptoms, you should be evaluated by a doctor for the same,

MD doc :

Prescription medicines should help ease your symptoms in this situation,

MD doc :

On the scientific side, millions of people are having URI like symptoms on a daily basis, and the incidence of GBS is extremely rare, so your concern is quite unwarranted scientifically speaking,

MD doc :

Looking at strategies to cope with anxiety, stopping research on GBS :)

MD doc :

and doing things that relax you and take your mind off these obsessive thoughts ought to help,

MD doc :

Read more here

MD doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer:

Thank you MD doc, I do acknowledge my intense anxiety state but in the back of my mind still cannot put out the fact that I have been so stressed in conjunction with an URTI and that the anxiety and stress have escalated so much that something has to give in my immune system. Could I stress myself into developing GBS. I will act on your other advice also

MD doc :

No,

MD doc :

The stress and the URI is not going to cause GBS in this situation,

MD doc :

There is no scientific evidence to support this theory, and as stated above, the cases of GBS are extremely rare,

Customer:

thanks again

MD doc :

What you are suffering from is CYBERCHONDRIA ....

MD doc :

the fear of diagnosing a disease on the internet :)

Customer:

True, but I once nursed a lady who could only blink for 6 months due to GBS and I have experienced intense fear imagining being in the same situation