TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.

My father has atrial fibrilation and has had blood clots in

My father has atrial fibrilation and has had blood clots in his leg. He has been advised that he may not be able to fly without risk of forming new blood clots and as a result is reluctant to fly (stay in a confined space -- especially as he is taller) without increasing his risk. He is on coumadin.

Do you have a specific question?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, is it safe for him to fly and what might help him?

How long a flight is he considering?

Do you know if his Coumadin in therapeutic ( what is his INR level?)

Has he had further blood clots since he has been on the Coumadin?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

about 14 hours.

I don' t know the answer to your second question and he has had no further clots.

OK . Well that is a long flight.

I obviously cannot give you an exact number as to his likelihood of getting a new blood clot from a prolonged flight- but the longer one is immobilized/ or sits in one spot, the higher the risk. His risk could be lower as long as his blood thinning is in the right range, and he could lower the risk even more if he wore compression stockings on his feet. Even still, he will still have some risk- but I would guess that it would be small.

At the end of the day, he and you have to decide if you want to take a small risk or not. It would be a small risk- but certainly not zero.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.