Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My daughter has been having pain in her left knee for at least

My daughter has been having pain in her left knee for at least a month or more with also hip pain. She describes it as if her knee is going to break or give out .She has had no falls or injuries and is 34 years old. Last night she discovered a hard lump about the size of a grape on the knee that you can see . The lump itself is not painful . Of course it is the weekend & I am worried . What do you think ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Where exactly is the lump? Was any trauma involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The lump is slightly off to the left side of the knee .No trauma .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any problems with any other joints?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her hip on same side which feels the same like it may give out or break . Hard to lift it up and down normal . She stepped over a short gate the other day and it caused pain to her hip when she did this.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--does she have any other medical conditions and does she plan to see a doctor about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just recently she was diagnoised with hypothyroidism , low iron, & gastroparesis . We will get a call into a doctor Monday. What are you thinking ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, without any trauma, there are two possibilities here. One would be that this is actually a lumbar spine problem--maybe a ruptured disk--radiating pain to the leg. That wouldn't account, however, for the lump. My other idea would be an autoimmune disorder like rhematoid arthritis, so I would screen her for that in addition to getting MRI's of the spine, hip, and knee.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think it could possibly be a bone cancer ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Very doubtful for either primary or metastatic cancer in multiple areas at one time. Plain x-rays would look for that.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice