Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a hiatal hernia. I also have a chronic cough for the

I have a hiatal hernia. I also have a chronic cough for the last 4 years, that has been diagnoised with no known cause. I have been on all the Gerd rx's. They each helped for no longer than a couple of weeks,however I was on each for 3-6months. None of my prescribed meds have coughing as a side effect. I have no allergies according to the Allergist scratch tests. I have sleep apnea & have Cpap. My Pulmonary doctor thought it might help the cough, but it didn't.
I've had two Endoscopes. The last one in 2011 showed only the hernia. I tried Xanax, thinking it might be caused from anxiety. It stopped the cough completely for 2 weeks. Not wanting to keep increasing the dose to keep the cough under control, I stop taking it. The little dip in my neck between my collar bones feels like it spasms & other times like it flutters. If I put pressure on it,it will help my cough from going into a full blown coughing session. In the last month or so my appetite has decrease. My favorite foods have lost their appeal. I feel the coughing aggrevates my hernia. Can your esophagous spasm causing coughing? I don't think I have my symptoms sound like ciliac desease? My cough wakes me up after I've been to sleep for 2-4 hrs. I'm not if the comes first or the cough. I've had full cardiac, lung,allergy,rheumatology, & finally neurology. So what do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Esophageal spasm and also acid reflux can cause persistent cough.

mysticdoc :

Since you had extensive work up, any underlying serious cause is unlikely.

mysticdoc :

The coughing is likely due to the irritation of the airways from acid and also from the excess response from the cough reflex.

mysticdoc :

Hence, you should be on a PPI like nexium daily.

mysticdoc :

Also, surgical repair of the hiatal hernia may be considered if medications failed.

mysticdoc :

The surgery may stop acid reflux better.

mysticdoc :

Nissen fundoplication is the common procedure.

mysticdoc :

Hence, you can see a GI surgeon for that.

mysticdoc :

In resistant cough symptoms, low dose narcotic medication may be used although this is not the best option with history of sleep apnea.

mysticdoc :

Codeine or morphine can be used as needed basis.

mysticdoc :

Oral steroid inhaler is another option if not tried.

Customer: As I stated in my question none of the PPI'S have helped.
mysticdoc :

Then surgery is the only option left for you realistically.

mysticdoc :

The most common surgical treatment is the laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication. This procedure involves wrapping the upper part of the stomach around the lower end of the esophagus .

Customer: I cant seem to read your full reply. I only can see partial surgical repair of etc please write
mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Also watch your diet.

mysticdoc :

Your diet should contain moderate amount of dietary fibers.

Initially you should cook your vegetables well to make the fibers soluble for easy digestion.

Avoid meat, fish, chicken, eggs.

No animal products.

You can have plant proteins, like tofu, tempeh, lentils, rice etc.

Avoid nuts, seeds, beans, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower.

Also avoid sweets, cake, dessert, ice cream, caffeine as they worsen acid reflux and bloating symptoms.

Add Dill weed powder and caraway seeds to your food every time.

Try aloe vera 1/4 cup + pomegranate juice 1/2 cup every morning-- helps digestion.

Also try Dandelion tea 1-2 cups daily, white bean hummus.

Also take 2 cloves of garlic daily, wormwood tea 1 cup daily, papaya seed and honey mixture daily.

mysticdoc :

Also consider taking a probiotic daily.

Phillip's Colon Health is a good probiotic and helps in improving colon health.

Also take activated charcoal supplements daily and drink 1 cup of peppermint tea in the morning and evening daily to prevent acid reflux.

Aloe vera juice, chewing gum daily will prevent acid reflux as well.

Customer: Are you there
mysticdoc :

yes

mysticdoc :

please see my reply above.

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Please read my replies above.

Also watch your diet.
Avoid meat, fish, chicken, eggs.
No animal products.

Best wishes,

Please click ACCEPT button and leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK, if you
do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my
time & effort. Thank you!
Please ask for Mysticdoc for your future questions.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/