Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am having a problem with the bottom of my right foot. About

I am having a problem with the bottom of my right foot. About an inch below the toe next to my pinky I have a numb spot. It sort of feels like I am stepping on two or so quarters. I also have light numbness extending from that same toe down the right bottom of my foot to my heel. The left side of the bottom of my foot and top are fine. I play golf about twice a week and usually walk. I first noticed this about four weeks ago the day after golfing. The numb spot popped up pretty fast. The other numbnes came on a little more gradually. I would say the whole thing has not gotten any worse in the last two weeks but has not gotten any better. It also looks like my foot is a little swollen near the big numb spot, not much though. My right leg from my right buttock down through my hammy has been achey for about a week, but I am pretty sure that is from compensating for the numbness in my foot and figgiting with it so much.

I am a 43 year old white male. Nothing remarkable about my health except that I take an ace inhibitor for hypertension. BP is pretty well under control.

Love to know what is going on. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

The numbness symptom suggests involvement of the nerve supplying the concerned area.

mysticdoc :

The nerve can get inflamed from walking or weight bearing.

mysticdoc :

The radiation of the achiness from your buttock suggests the possibility of the nerve root compression at the lumbosacral spine.

mysticdoc :

But nerve compression is more common around the ankle level.

mysticdoc :

This condition tends to improve by reducing the weight bearing thereby giving adequate rest to the nerve.

mysticdoc :

Comfortable shoes are helpful.

mysticdoc :

and foot exercises also yield good results.

mysticdoc :

Lowr back exercises also will help.

mysticdoc :

The recovery time may vary from 12 to 24 weeks.

mysticdoc :

Since there is no further worsening, any other possibility like stroke is unlikely.

mysticdoc :

You can cosider seeing a physical therapist for exercises.

mysticdoc :

You can also go to the below links for some exercises that can be performed at home:

mysticdoc :

Also warm water soak of the feet at the end of the day for 15 minutes is helpful in relaxing the muscles of the feet.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button and leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK, if you

do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my

time & effort. Thank you!

Please ask for Mysticdoc for your future questions.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

Thank you Dr. All sounds good and makes sense to me. Really appreciate it.