Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics

was told by a psychiatrist that she thinks im not bi polar

Customer Question

was told by a psychiatrist that she thinks im not bi polar i was already diagnosed as bi polar 2 but now im having issues where i cannot focus on daily chores i switch from one task to another quickly and always paranoid about certain things. im always in either a depressive mood or full of rage never really happy about anything no matter how positive it is. havent been able to sleep as my mind is always racing. help me really dissapointed with myself as i cannot hold onto a job. it gets extremely boring so i leave then fall into a deep depression phase for months on end.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

These symptoms you have mentioned are more suggestive of a Bipolar type 2 illness to me!

You can try the online screening quiz below .

Bipolar Screening Quiz

Are you currently taking any medicines?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the 2cd psychiatrist said she didnt think I had bi polar so she said im too sensative to ssris. Antidepressants. But im getting very frustrated lately for the reason being I cannot cocentrate on my job. And Im always forgetting where I put things. are these symptoms of bp too?
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply and please accept my apology for the delay in replying.

Lack of concentration, forgetfulness are usually reported by patients suffering from Depression or anxiety disorders. If a patient is undergoing depressive phase of Bipolar 2 illness, he or she may experience these symptoms.

By the way, what was your score if you have tried that on line screening quiz?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I scored a 39 on the bp quiz
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
A score of 39 is suggestive of the possibility of Bipolar disorder in your case. Sometimes Bipolar II disorder can be confused with Depression alone.

You can take the test sheet and the test score to your new psychiatrist and ask her to screen you once more to rule out Bipolar II disorder.