Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I am getting sudden waves of intense stomach pain. It feels

I am getting sudden waves of intense stomach pain. It feels like it located right in the center, between my ribs, near the top. What could be causing it? Could it be related to the wicked headache I have had constantly for over two weeks?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 2 years ago.

You probably have gastritis - inflammation of the inner lining of the stomach. This can cause intense pain in the area between the ribs. gastritis is also often associated with a headache. Please take antacid like Tums for immediate dilution of the gastric acid - this will help decrease the inflammation. Prevacid tablets, available without a prescription will help decrease the acid secretion.

Ice cream or cold milk can also help cool the tissues as well as dilute the acid.

Other causes of the pain could be an intestinal infection (this will also cause bloating and diarrhea) or an inflammation of the gallbladder.

If the Tums and Prevacid tablets do not help or if you have diarrhea, please consult a doctor as early as possible.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how is is connected with a headache? I don't have diarrhea, is anything I am a bit constipated.
Headache occurs due to stimulation of the vagus nerve. This nerve carries fibres to and from all the abdominal organs including the stomach.

Another cause for the headache is dehydration due to lack of fluid absorption from the gut. Since you also have a mild constipation, dehydration is likely to be the cause of your headache.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I find it improbable that I have been dehydrated for over 2 weeks. I have been drinking lots of water.
Chronic mild dehydration can occur for quite some time even without the person realizing that he/she is dehydrated.

Constipation and headache are usually symptoms of dehydration, especially when they occur together. If you do have gastritis, then chances of you being able to absorb adequate fluids from the gut are less due to the inflammation.

Please try the antacid and the Prevacid tablets - that should help.

Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.