Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a swishing sound in both ears when I turn my head or

I have a swishing sound in both ears when I turn my head or shift my eyes with head remaining still. Seemed to begin when i was taking Cymbalta. Took it for about 7 weeks. Stopped taking it about 2 weeks ago but still have swishing sound in both ears.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

The sound is called as tinnitus. This is likely to be adverse effect associated with Cymbalta. You may wait for another week, which may resolve it spontaneously. Otherwise you would need to consult an ENT specialist for the following investigations;

1) Audiometric evaluation

2) A complete blood cell count, an autoimmune panel (ANA, sedimentation rate, rheumatoid factor), and thyroid function tests.

3) MRI of the brain and internal auditory canals.

Following are the other common causes of tinnitus;

1) Exposure to persistent loud noise.

2) Ménière's disease.

3) Ear wax

4) Eustachian tube dysfunction

5) Environmental allergy

6) Blood pressure fluctuations

7) Diabetes and thyroid conditions

8) Medications are an extremely common cause of tinnitus

If you are taking any anti-inflammatory analgesics for any kind of pain like toothache, they should be stopped. All aspirin-containing products and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be discontinued. Supplements like vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, with magnesium, zinc, or copper are suppose to help.

Read the resource on tinnitus;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have discontinued cymbalta (about 2-3 weeks ago)and will avoid using any type of NSAID drugs. I am currently taking Percoset for severe back pain. (bulging disc and sciatic nerve pain) Percoset is 5/325 mg. Could this drug have an effect on tinnitus as well? I'm to have back surgery within next month so I will have to remain on it or some type of narcotic drug for next 2-3 months or so until I am able to go back to work. Also, I thought tinnitus was ringing in ears. This is a strange swishing sound occurring almost always when my head and/or eyes are in movement. I am a 56 year old male in otherwise good health. Thank You.
You are most welcome.

Please see this authentic resource on tinnitus and it's definition (meaning); Tinnitus is the perception of sound in the head or the ears.

Percocet usually is not responsible for the tinnitus. Since you have stopped the Cymbalta for 2-3 weeks; you may consider seeking an appointment with ENT specialist for the evaluation and investigations to ascertain the cause.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun