DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

I just had lap gall bladder surgery. Everything went fine except

I just had lap gall bladder surgery. Everything went fine except my pre surgery EKG showed bradycardia I've never had this before. I had a carpal tunnel release in jan and the EKG was normal. I also had an EKG in the ED April 1st when they found the stones with ctscan and it was normal although heart rate elevated due to the pain. I've been taking my pulse since I got home and it's still somewhere between 60 to 68. Should I be concerned and see a cardiologist?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
This is a normal pulse rate.
If it is sinus bradycardia [which this is not...that is below 60] and no symptoms..generally not a problem.

If there is a block on EKG then see the cardiologist.
You should discuss this now with your primary care as well who actually has a copy of the EKG>

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After surgery my pulse was 45. I work in a hospital lab and have nursing and Ed doc friends who said this might be because of the fentanyl they gave me but my usual resting pulse rate is 78 not 62 as it was this morning
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Yes it could very well have been a medication effect..no doubt, and if it was sinus bradycardia this would support that.