911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Im male, turning 40 next month, 56 and about 179 pounds (thats

Customer Question

I'm male, turning 40 next month, 5'6 and about 179 pounds (that's a bit heavy for me). A few months back I noticed my love handles felt cold to the touch. It comes and goes.

Then I noticed my legs (thighs) were feeling cold. Shortly after that I noticed a rash like pattern on my right leg. I've seem my family doctor and she thinks it's Cutis Marmorta. The thing is, it goes away at night so first thing in the morning, before I walk around it looks fine. It's only once I start to walk around that the rash pattern comes back, and I suspect it's spreading.

The cold spots move about. Sometimes in my thighs, sometimes in my buttocks. I've left it in my right arm as well. I've also had hot feelings but usually cold.

So if it is Cutis Marmorta then she said there is no cure and I have to learn to live with it. I never had that as a child.

This is the rash from a few weeks back:

This is next day, first thing in the morning but I did already stand so you can see a hint of the rash coming back:

Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 4 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

so difficult to discuss dermatology problems on the web, AND in person

911Doctor :

but

911Doctor :

though your case is both typical and atypical for cutis marmorata...

911Doctor :

the typical part being the rash which looks spot on

911Doctor :

and the fact that warming the area makes the 'rash' go away

911Doctor :

cutis marmorata typically improves with age

911Doctor :

so it's not necessarily true that you need to learn to live with it

911Doctor :

but before settling on this diagnosis

911Doctor :

i think a dermatologist should see you and make this diagnosis, because, as you know, it's much more common in kids and infants

911Doctor :

and it's strange that you would simply develop it at age 39

911Doctor :

though i can not think of anything else this might be

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer :

Yes, I have looked up that image several times myself and tried to google it. There doesn't seem to be any sort of info for adults with this condition. The "go away with age" I was told only applies to children, so when an adult gets it, it's not going away. I am currently waiting to see a dermatolgist on this, but was told I would be waiting a while.

Customer :

I chose to use your website to see if there is anything else it could be, as I said, it looks like it's getting larger.

Customer :

Sorry, didn't realize I was to leave the screen up all the time. Hoping you get back to me.

Customer :

Standing by.

911Doctor :

of course there are other possible diagnoses.... the very fact that you have been referred to dermatology means that your primary care physician is a bit unsure... as i would be.... because dermatology is one thing, along with psychiatry, that most primary care physicians get scant training in... it's why there is an entire field of specialization simply to do with skin diseases and skin findings...

911Doctor :

as to WHAT else it might be i would not want to hazard a guess because it would be nothing more than a true shot in the dark....

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer :

Ok, so no real new input I guess. Just wait until I see the dermatolgist.

Customer :

Personally I thought it might deal with needing more exercise and dropping 10 pounds which I'll still try.

911Doctor :

unfortunately i think that IS the answer because part of the skin exam, along with simple visualization of the skin, is to press on the rash, see if it blanches, and to assess the skin temperature... there's much more than visualization that goes into a diagnosis... sometimes a biopsy is necessary to get there.

Customer :

standing by

911Doctor :

certainly will not hurt things.

Customer :

So, as there is no solution offered, does this still cost me $18? It's already all the information I sort of had.

911Doctor :

completely up to you, i will only get paid if you accept my answer.

911Doctor :

the other option is to request a refund which is usually no problem to get

Customer :

Fair enough, but it's not really an answer. Thanks for chatting.

911Doctor :

no worries