Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Dear Dr. Chip,Its now about 4 weeks, since I had the unfortunate

Dear Dr. Chip,
Its now about 4 weeks, since I had the unfortunate terrible experience with the Chiropractor. Muscle tension in my back seems to have lessened. However, I'm really worried that he could have damaged the nerve that controls the diaphragm responsible for our breathing. As its very hard for me to take a deep breath still! I need to try very hard and feel its pulled from my diaphragm area. I'm so scared that he could have dissected that nerve in my back by his hard compressions? Is that possible? If he has crushed that nerve? Would it repair itself? I'm very worried as I know that nerves take a very long time to repair themselves. This has been a nightmare. Thank You, S
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Can you tell me exactly what the problem is with your breathing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank You for your reply. Its hardto explain, when I try to take a deep breath, it gets stuck. I feel that I have to force air in and it feels like a push at my diaphragm area. Also, it feel stuck in my back, as it hurts. I'm really worried, as its much worse today. I'm thinking of going to hospital. I'm in a panic mode as I don't know the system here in the Netherlands. I'm thinking all kinds of worse case scenario conditions! Could this have induced pneumonia, is this what I'm feeling, as I've not been able to breath deeply for a while now. Its hard to explain but its an effort to breath. I feel tired. HArd to explain. I'm anxious about it too, which I'm sure is making things worse.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
:Let me know when you're back on so we can discuss this further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm back on line.

I am worried that my respiration problem is caused by compression of spinal nerves (upper back) by the chriropractor (4 weeks ago). Drs here are telling me to give it time. They say that its highly improbable to have endured nerve damage. I don't know how long it make take for the compressed nerves that control my breathing to function normally again?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have you seen a pulmonologist--a lung specialist--about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was alarmed by my inability to breath deeply and panicked when I was hyperventilating. I saw a night Dr. She listened to my lung and said it was normal. She also listened to my heart and said there was no murmur. My blood pressure was fine too. She recommended lung function test. I need to get a referral from a dr. here befotre I can have any diagnostic tests done. It has to be a regular day Dr. So I went to one. She was against me having any further tests. She was putting down to me being over anxious about this. I know that I had no problem with my breathing until 4 weeks ago, when I had compression on my upper back 4 weeks ago. I worry about nerve damage. Could this injury have caused neuromuscular disease. It is only my breathing. I had weakness and tingling at times, very little but it has subsided. When I mentioned it to Dr. today, she put it down to sign of anxiety. Its so frustrating here. I am worried as I can not breath properly and they don't take me seriously.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Is the problem all the time and how is your sleep? Did you have a chest x-ray along the line?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe that compression to my upper back/spine has compressed the nerves that control respiration. I pray that its temporary. Again, I don't know how long it would take for these nerves to regain normal function? Drs. here told me its improbable to have had any nerve damage as nerves are deep within in that area. I'm young etc.!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My chest X-ray was normal. I had X-ray done a week after I saw the chiropractor (3 weeks ago). When I'm awake, I'm bothered by my inability to breath deeply properly. Howevere, when I'm sleeping, it must be fine as I haven't been waking up gasping for air! I told the Dr. today if my diaphragm nerve was affected. She said X-ray would have revealed unusual positioning of the diaphragm then. Also, she said my breathing sounds when she listened to my lung wouldn't have been normal. Also that I wouldn't have been able to sit the way I was sitting!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And how is the pain now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You mean my back pain? Back pain is mild. Though, I have moments that it intensifies briefly. When I try to take a deep breath, as we speak, it gets stuck. Hard to explain. So frustrating as I can not fill my lungs with enough air. My diaphragm area, my lower stomack fels tired.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
But most of the time, if you don't try to take a deep breath, you're breathing is normal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe so. Though today, its been hard anytime I consciously want to breath. Take a deep breath.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its very late here now. I look forward to reading your response tomorrow. Thank You.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--tell you what--come back here tomorrow and we'll continue the discussion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure. Could you please respond to my asked questions? I feel that you are avoiding giving me any answers. I asked about nerve compression? The possibility of that being the cause of my breathing problme now? Could you please state your opinion on this please? I'm just doing my best to diagnose myself! As the Drs. here have been unhelpful so far! Inability to breath properly is serious yes she was telling me today why I'm anxious? What am I affraid off?!!!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not avoiding--just wanted to get enough information. BotXXXXX XXXXXne here--all you've told me and what has happened so far with the doctors' examinations--no, this is not a breathing problem caused by a spine or nerve injury. I think you need to see a pulmonogist to thoroughly evaluate your lung function, but quite frankly--and I hope you understand that I'm just giving you my honest opinion--the incident with the chiropractor upset you greatly and, while there may be a spine problem here, the breathing problem you're having is not from any physical cause and it's from your overall anxiety from the chiro visit.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice