911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I HAVE HAD A TOOTH ACHE FOR A WEEK OR SO NOW. WENT TO DENTIST,

I HAVE HAD A TOOTH ACHE FOR A WEEK OR SO NOW. WENT TO DENTIST, SAID I LOST A CORNER OFF OF AN UPPER MOLAR, BUT THIS SHOULD NOT CAUSE ME ANY PAIN OR DISCOMFORT. HE TOOK AN X RAY AND SAID IT LOOKED LIKE I HAD A SINUS PROBLEM. I HAVE NO TYPICAL SINUS SYMPTONS, NO STUFFYNESS, NO FACIAL PAIN UNDER EYES, NO CONGESTION ORCOUGHING OR SORE THROAT OR ETC. JUST WHAT FEELS LIKE A TOOTH ACHE IN SAME AREA AS WHERE LOST A CORNER OFF OF A CROWN. HURTS WHEN I CHEW ON THAT SIDE AND PUT PRESSURE ON THAT TOOTH. DON'T KNOW WEATHER TO GO TO THE DOCTOR OR BACK TO THE DENTIST. CAN ONE HAVE A SINUS INFECTION WITHOUT THE USUAL SYMPTONS?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

Great question. Difficult to answer. If he took an Xray and did an exam then I think the dentist is likely to be correct. It IS possible to have a maxillary sinus infection with the only symptoms being pain in the molar(s) on one side or the other.

I am surprised that the dentist did not put you on antibiotics but perhaps that would have been out of his area and frowned upon.

I think there are two options, the first being the one I would do if i were you. I would call your doctor or go to an urgent care and say that a dentist has diagnosed you with a maxillary sinusitis when you thought you had a cavity and that you need to be treated for this.

Within a day or two of starting the proper antibiotics you should note a decrease in pain and it should then go away.

The second option would be a second dental exam, but, with an Xray and exam done, I feel very confident that the first dentist is correct. This problem, believe it or not, is quite common.

best